Standard learning credits - which courses have you used them for?

A couple of lads used them for a Beaver Hunting course whilst at BATUS.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Standard Learning Credits?

You get something like £120 a year to cover the cost of a course of your choice, provided it's of vague professional relevance. I think it pays 80% of the course fees so there's a small personal contribution. Someone on here from the ETS will be able to correct me.

Almost nobody ever uses them but I know people who've done DIY courses, wine tasting, and AT type courses.

Wine tasting is clearly useful professionally for when one might need to hobnobb with the fererro Roche crowd.

I've known people do picture framing.

NUGAT

Swinger
You get something like £120 a year to cover the cost of a course of your choice, provided it's of vague professional relevance. I think it pays 80% of the course fees so there's a small personal contribution. Someone on here from the ETS will be able to correct me.

Almost nobody ever uses them but I know people who've done DIY courses, wine tasting, and AT type courses.

Is that just for a lack of time or because the courses on offer aren't interesting or what? From the outside it comes across as a rather useful option for further education.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is that just for a lack of time or because the courses on offer aren't interesting or what? From the outside it comes across as a rather useful option for further education.

Laziness mostly. Aside from in a few jobs there's almost always time to do it and it's fairly easy to apply, but nobody can really be bothered. It's the same reason that 90% of the AT in any given unit will be done by the same three troopers - they're the ones who can be bothered to sign up.

I say this as someone who has never claimed my standard learning credits because I can't be bothered.