Standard Defence Scenarios

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BrunoNoMedals, Feb 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I'm looking for some info on the list of "standard scenarios" that are used in capability planning - strategic assumptions or whatever they're called. The things where you have to engineer your capability to that it fits in or applies to a few of them (i.e. my SA80 works fine in this temperate European forest, but bugger me if it gets covered in sand...)

I'm scouring the AOF but can't find anything - possibly because it isn't on there, possibly because I haven't remembered the right search terms. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  2. Given the only way I can access them is using a Dark Side terminal, they don't and never have lived in the AOF. If you mean the environmental conditions, they are in a DEFSTAN - 0035 I think.
  3. BrunoNoMedals

Cheers. DEFSTANs are available online so I had a look, and you're right about the environmental conditions. However I thought there was a higher level document from which that was derived. The DEFSTAN determines very specific temperature ranges, etc, but I thought there was a strategy paper out there that said things like "we expect to be bashing AK-wielding nutters in sandy places until 20xx, but might also have to do a contested beach landing on an island in the mean time".
  4. Defence planning assumes that nothing unexpected will happen.
  5. Which we all know is the exact opposite of real life.

6. Are you referring to SAG scenarios? (slide 14)
  7. BrunoNoMedals

8. I think as Mr_C_H said, they exist on the darkside*, and I believe they are maintained for the MoD by Dstl.

*otherwise the Argentinians would realise that mutant suicide penguins with frickin' laser beams were not factored into our plans for the defence of the Falklands...
  9. Shut up, and **** off. You ******* idiot.
    Try and pass a meaningful military course before you come on here and gob off like Billy-Two-Balls.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

No need for that language in this part of the forum.
  11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Whilst it's undoubtedly a monumentally stupid post, keep it sensible.

As for SAGs, unless you have the relevant access, you can't see them and they're certainly not open source.
  12. BrunoNoMedals

Buggeration. Pretty much what I expected, though. Thanks for the confirmation!

Was hoping to reference them in a paper for uni, but I'll just leave it at naming them and assuming the lecturer knows the score. It's Shrivenham so he will!

What does SAG actually stand for? Strategic assumption...?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk
  13. SAG stands for Studies Assumptions Group. It states that in the presentation.
  14. They aren't called SAGs now. Suggest you might want to do some research and ask the grown ups at work if you expect any marks.
  15. BrunoNoMedals

Yes mum. This is a last minute aside I thought may add value to the paper, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't go in. Also, having viewed the slides on a mobile phone, I won't be apologising for not making out all the text.

Moral commentary aside I do appreciate the useful input so far. Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk