Builds Standard B Liberty Truck part 1

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
WW1 Group build/ Standard Liberty Truck build

Following on from the rather excellent in-box review on the ICM Standard B Liberty Truck, I felt I was lagging behind with the WW1 Group Build and decided to put the two together.
This was of course, influenced by Mrs Smeg's 6 month old Bedlington Terrier taking umbrage with the Holt Tractor that I'd started building and sinking her (the Dog not Mrs Smeg) teeth into the engine and front wheel assembly! Holt has now been consigned to the "One day, maybe" cupboard and the Liberty has emerged as my main effort.
The chassis assembly is fairly simple and is made easier by the front leaf springs being attached to each of the chassis lengths. Adding the remaining spring halves and the radiator assembly follows, beware of the small pieces that attach to the front assembly.
chassis02.png

The rear axle assembly comes next, again there are some tricky little parts. One thing the instructions do not tell you is the brake discs need to be assembled with the two small holes facing the ground. This becomes apparent when fixing the "L" shaped arms onto the axle.
Chassis03.png

Chassis05.png
Cab floor from above.png

The wheels and engine are the next step. The wheels are fairly straightforward but care needs to be taken to align the pins and pin-holes. The engine is another matter. There are some quite large parts that go together well with minimum cleaning up. I decided to paint the engine in Tamiya's XF-84 (Dark Iron) with XF-56 (Metallic Grey) and X-33 (Bronze) for various attachments and highlights. XF-85 (Rubber Black) was used for low-lights.
Chassis Engine3.png

It was at this stage I decided to undercoat the main chassis. Normally I would use a spray car primer, but on this occasion I have decided to use a well thinned coat of XF-62 (Olive Drab). The chassis and the wheels were given two coats of XF-62. I have only treated the wheel inners, leaving the tyres un-painted. These will get a special treatment later. Other parts of the chassis including the differential box, prop shafts and axles were given a light coat of XF-56 (Metallic Grey).
chassis04.png

At this stage I painted the inside of the radiator XF-65 (Rubber Black) and then when dry, I dry-brushed XF-56 over it to pick out the detailing. This is important to do now as the fan on the engine sits inside the radiator circle. Once this is dried, the engine is offered up for fitting. This needs a fair bit of fiddling around but it does eventually seat right. Make sure it is upright on both sides as well as level on top! There are one or two other parts to fit onto the engine block before a final coat of paint is added. To give the engine that oily look, I gave it a coat of Tamiya X-19 (Smoke) well thinned and built up over four sessions.
Chassis Engine2.png
Chassis Engine1.png

I have just started on the cab interior and will put in a continuation report on that and any other progress made. I will also, hopefully have a build report of the Douglas Motorcycle and Rider done soon.
Cab floor and dashboard.png
Cab Floor & Dash
Cab floor from above.png
Looking down on to cab floor, primed and one underfoot applied.

Smeggers

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Eeeerrrrrr pictures eeerrrrr what pictures :mrgreen::mrgreen:
There will be photos once I can sort out how to upload them. For some reason, arrse doesn't recognise photos taken via my phone.

There will be photos once I can sort out how to upload them. For some reason, arrse doesn't recognise photos taken via my phone.
Too large to be uploaded?? That tends to be the number one problem

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Too large to be uploaded?? That tends to be the number one problem
Keeps saying does not have a recognised file attached despite being Jpg file. I think you're right @daz

Keeps saying does not have a recognised file attached despite being Jpg file. I think you're right @daz
Normally I have to reduce the file size down to 25% or there about's to get within the upload limit

The clown who salvaged the tank Deborah had two of these in his old barn museum at Flesquieres, I presume that they're now in his on the edge of the village.

Latest Threads