Stand up to US, voters tell Blair

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Jul 25, 2006.

1. No, we are a proud and independent nation that just happens to agree with the USA (always)

2. Yes, I am fed up with getting dry-buggered by Uncle Sam

3. Better the Spams than the Frogs and Krauts!

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think we should look more to the EU than US, both are bent as nine bob notes but on is nearer, not as silly, and isn't run by a complete moron.
  2. Being ordered about by Radical Christians is what the UK is all about today. In God We Trust MY FRYGGING ARRSE!
  3. No its just run by a bender who seeks control over our little island nation. Britain should remain independant and pull out of the EU and stand up for ourselves against the Yanks.
  4. Why pull out of the EU? 60% of our exports goto the EU then we get fcuked over on the exchange rate. Well I think you're in a minorty if the UKIP and its showing is anything to go by.
  5. I've yet to meet someone who wishes to stay with the EU. We trade within the commonwealth we dont need the EU.
  6. What do you think we have been doing for the last 31 years FFS? Trading with the EU!
    If GB PLC pulls out of the EU it will sink without trace along with all the little Englanders who still think they have an empire.
  7. I was very anti the euro til I got posted to Germany, life is so much easier under one currency. However we would have to stop what happened all over europe with the mass price rises hidden in the confusion.

As for the main point of the thread I feel that Britain has vital role to play as the mediator between europe and america, however Bliar's weak foreign policy has turned in to the whipping boy of both sides.

As Eddie Izzard said Britain needs to be in the driving seat or at worst the passenger seat of europe, at the moment we're at the traffic lights offering to clean their windscreens
  8. Err, Norway and Switzerland trade with the EU without any difficulty -- where the hell does this stupid myth come from that Britain would no longer be able to trade with the EU if it pulled out?

I have yet to hear anybody satisfactorily explain the benefits of membership of the EU as opposed to membership of EFTA (that's the European free trade area for anyone who has not heard of it).
  9. We are British and we should be proud to be independent of any alliance you care to mention - we can trade with the EU but we don't have to be fully paid up members to do this! Look at the sacrifices we would have to make in order to be european in the eyes of Brussels - scrapping of the pound to name but one. I see Great Britain's role as a strong nation on the world stage, but also an intermediary between Europe and the USA with no overly strong allegiance to either. We've lost some serious brownie points by being joined at the hip to the USA and it's global exploits, but I'm also proud that we are a nation that won't be terrorised and simply take it on the chin, so involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan was probable unavoidable.
  10. Utter tosh! half of the commomwelth is full rubbish nations we could barley sell second hand fridges too.
  11. Hear, hear!

The european nations are always too busy squabbling to ever get anywhere near close to full federalisation. It would be political suicide in this country to take us into the single-currency without a referendum (surely no PM would be sufficiently selfless to have the balls to do it), and we can't be part of a federal europe until we agree to join the single currency.....soooo I reckon we can play with our european friends safe in the knowledge that we'll never end up too close.

[rant] I'd feel much more comfortable with this than the current feeling that our PM has become a a spineless lackey of the US administration, because Washington DC is fast becoming the only place in the world (including the UK) where anyone would give him a warm welcome. I for one wouldn't waste my piss on him if he was on fire. [/rant]
  12. Let's face it.

When the shit hits the fan, who can we rely on?

France, Germany et all?

Sticking close to, although not sucking up to, America is the best course of action.
  13. well as long as we stay close to america we are at the mercy of the idiot running that place... or we can get close to the EU which also has its problems but has not draged us into 2 wars and has the world hating us and seeing us as the lap dogs of the yanks
  14. Personally, I'd stick with our historical ally. We've done quite well working together in the past.