Stand Down Harry Patch

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by spent_case, Jul 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The last Tommy has just died. RIP Harry - Have fun with your old muckers.

2. Can imagine all his comrades standing at the Pearly Gates saying "Get the beers in Harry, your late"
  3. just been watchin the last tommy on yesterday rip harry patch
  4. He went through a lot. RIP
  5. RIP, what a life
  6. So was I oddly enough.

When I was a youngster there were lots of these gentlemen still around including my granddad, I can't believe that there are none left.

Thankyou for what you did Mr Patch and Rest in Peace Sir.
  7. RIP Mr Patch
  8. Stand easy my good man.

9. R.I.P. Harry Patch
  10. RIP sir!!
  11. I have the book and I'll be reading it again this evening.
    As with Henry Allingham last week, I'll be breaking out some of my best whisky to sip whilst I'm doing it.
    Hmmm... what to choose. A fine Islay Malt I think. Old Glenn.
    Good on you Harry, the last of your kind.Cheers.
  12. I had the pure honour of meeting the great man, hope they ,respect his wishes and don't have a state funeral for him, I know many glasses will be raised in the pubs of Bath tonight, and partially the ( then village) suburb of Combe Down were the great man was born.
  13. I finished reading Henry Allinghams book at around 2am this morning and promptly wiped some grit from my eye (must have a word with the missus about her dusting skills)
    Got up this morning and went to put the book besides Harry's bio but couldn't find it. Then remembered it was on loan. Strange that he crossed my mind 2hrs before I heard the sad news

I feel a trip to the cenotaph coming on. Mebbe I'll send the wife up before me to make sure there's no dust
  14. Hard to believe he would have been in his 40's when my grandfather was running up the normandy beaches, he's served in hell and can finally pull his feet into St Peter, R.I.P