Stan Hollis VC

Fantastic story.

Always get lumpy throated and humble when readign the citations of VC winners.

Sad to think he could go through all that then be struck down by a stroke at 59.

As much as I dislike the surrender monkeys, you can't fault them on the way they look after our ancestors graves and memorials.

^ Wholeheartedly agree.

Without dragging this to the NAAFI the story of WO2 Hollis issuing condoms to his troops on the boat is worth re-telling.

He was issuing them when his coy comd got a little upset and suggested that it was a) immoral to be issuing condoms to married men and b) presumptive that it would be a walkover and c) the French ladies may not like the attention of 100 sex starved Yorkshiremen carrying letters - the coy comd was very sceptical about Hollis's explanation that the condoms were for keeping the salt water out of their rifles.

My uncle Joe was 6th Green Howards. He transfered to SAS long before D day and was badley wounded at Cassino. Took a burst from a sub machine gun close up. Still alive today. He has never spoken to anyone, bar my late father about his wound.
I will send him a copy of the VC story.
john

I think it's quite cool that the old soldiers had a whipround and paid for the thing on the spot - the General ex-Green Howards stumping up the most with his plastic. Job Done!