Stan Hollis V.C. biography recommended

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by growler, Oct 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. D-Day Hero by Mike Morgan. ISBN 0-7509-3694-0 published 2004.
    As mentioned on another thread, just finished reading this biography of
    C.S.M Stan Hollis (Green Howards).
    Not much military detail but a fascinating read about this formidable man.
    Was always careful not to get nicked by police as they would take the medal off him. Didn't know there was a requirement to be a "good citizen" in order to keep it? Only 59 when he died of a stroke.
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If I recall one or two of the 24th Foot (note the avoidance of my saying Welshmen) or whoever at Rourkes Drift managed to get into trouble after receiving their awards but still kept them.

More here on Rourke's Drift
  3. Read somewhere on the web about his exploits in n Africa, trod on an s mine, told thse near to get away then calmly maintained pressure forcing it into the ground where it exploded resulting in him sustaining a bruised foot. Anyone know of any more background info available on the web ? maybe I will buy the book.
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC only about 8 men have forfitted the award of a V.C.

King George changed the ruling on it :

The original Royal Warrant involved an expulsion clause that allowed for a recipient's name to be erased from the official register in certain wholly discreditable circumstances and his pension cancelled.
    King George V though felt very strongly that the decoration should never be forfeited and in a letter from his Private Secretary, Lord Stamfordham, on 26 July 1920, his views are forcibly expressed:

The King feels so strongly that, no matter the crime committed by anyone on whom the VC has been conferred, the decoration should not be forfeited. Even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder, he should be allowed to wear his VC on the scaffold.
    The power to cancel and restore awards is still included in the Victoria Cross warrant but none has been forfeited since 1908
  5. Stan Hollis had a pub in North Ormesby in Middlesbrough. It used to be my dad's local.