Stamps of British soldiers who lost their lives in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ex-Grenadier, Nov 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Art Fund is seeking your support for a set of stamps depicting British service men and women who have lost their lives in Iraq. Find out more and sign the petition here.

Official war artist Steve McQueen, in collaboration with 137 families whose loved ones have lost their lives in Iraq, has created a cabinet containing a series of facsimile postage sheets, each one dedicated to a deceased soldier. The Art Fund has presented this cabinet to the Imperial War Museum where it is on public display. But until real stamps are issued the work is incomplete.

Mr Roger Bacon, Father of Major Matthew James Bacon who died on 11 September 2005, said:

"We see and remember Matthew everyday and the possibility that all those images could become postage stamps and be seen everywhere on envelopes; that other people as they go about their daily lives could see our wonderful son and all those other wonderful sons and daughters on the stamps and realise that the ultimate sacrifice had been made in the name of their country; that through the stamps they would become a permanent collective memory; all of that for us would provide a fitting memorial to our hero and all the other heroes."

The Art Fund is an independent membership based charity committed to saving art for the nation. To find out more go here.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I like the idea but who do you choose? Every single one of them is worth remembering.
  3. ditto, thoes not chosen would likely make their families feel worse.
  4. I personally think it's a rediculous idea.
  5. Like the idea but it should be representative military personnel - not actual casualties.

Assume some of the profits would also be heading towards service charities? Bet Royal Mail would be happy as they appear to be brassic and somewhat occupied with their own industrial problems.
  6. How are the families of the fallen supposed to get over their loss if every time a letter pops through the letter box they are reminded of them. It seems like another attempt by the "arty" crowd make money from the public. I might support the depicting of those who have won gallantry awards but not the fallen.
  7. I was a friend of Matt Bacons, and I don't need to see him on a postage stamp to remember him with respect and with a dry grin.

Nice idea, but going a bit far and a tad American in my mind.

Thousands of people turned out for the festical of Remembrance yesterday, Matt and other pals who rolled a seven were at the forefront of my mind. Thats without licking a piece of paper and sticking it to an envelope.

Can you imagine the outrage crowd kicking off if a stamp with a fallen soldier was posted to a foreign country and had an asain postmark stamped on it???? Thats the kind of pathetic clowns we deal with, so its a badn idea in my humble opinion.

Mark the passing of the last tommy with a commemorative stamp, that seems appropriate.
  8. I agree with the sentiments of doing this but it is far from practical. Who would be included, more importantly who would be left out? Why not just do a stamp for each regt/corps that has lost personnel with the regt'corps crest and the names imposed over?
  9. A range of stamps showing medals for valour and campaign medals would be appropriate.
    A range of stamps showing cap badges would be an excellent idea, given that the average British citizen doesn't even know who their local regiment is.
    To display the faces or names of those killed in action on stamps is in poor taste, There is a fine line between honouring the dead and using them for propaganda - or developing a 'memorial cult' for the grief whores.
  10. My own personal view is that I'm not sure this is the most tasteful way to remember them.
    Actually using these stamps to send letters around the world, and ultimately get thrown in the bin or shredded. Not a way I'd personally like to be remembered.
    If an artist wants to depict them then by all means a room in the national army museum dedicated to their portraits, but postage stamps seems wrong to me.
  11. The argument for not putting pictures of recent fallen is compelling. You cannot get all relatives and close friends to agree. If any one of them would be hurt/upset by getting a letter with the picture on, then whole idea is wrong.

The case has been argued before but this artist seems to be on a mission -regardless of hurt it may cause.

Why not just a simple poppy?