Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Stamp Out Online Echo Chambers

There's posters on here that have said they would to much worse than that!!!
That website gives you some truley awful choices of who you'd do. First one they gave me was Abbott or Thornbury. And without the comparatively attractive third option of just cut my cock off now.

What I don't get is while those two are 3rd and 2nd worst rated Caroline Lucas is below them. Don't like her politics but she can scrub up quite nicely.

Agree entirely, use the laws you have correctly

There is some good statistics in a Ben GoldAcre article about the concept of data mining / finding terrorists through algorithms down to their internet usage and how it just doesn’t work

Data mining for bad guys doesn’t work

That's a good article on the statistical effects it's talking about, as are most of the articles from Ben Goldacre.

Unfortunately, he seems to have zero understanding of how terrorist suspects are identified and the kind of algorithms (in the proper sense of a decision process) that are used, which mean that he's arguing against a straw man that doesn't actually exist.

So in a way, I guess, he's right. Applying a 'test' to data sets to ID terrorism doesn't work. But then I doubt anyone serious was suggesting that.*

* Also unfortunately, these days "anyone serious" relating to technical anything rules out all politicians and most senior public servants.

Flipping heck!

It's not often you get a post written like that.
Whether it's moonhowlery or not, I enjoyed your musings and the perspective you came from, and agree with many points made.
I got as far as "It's not the end of arrse" before losing the will to live.

Would her definition of 'echo chambers' include articles on the Guardian website where comment is free - but only if you express total support of the views of the author?

"You may wonder what could bring Nicky Morgan, Anna Soubry, David Lammy, Jacob Rees-Mogg and other senior MPs from across parliament together at the moment. Yet they are all sponsoring a bill I’m proposing that will tackle online hate, fake news and radicalisation. It’s because, day-in day-out, whatever side of an argument we are on, we see the pervasive impact of abuse and hate online – and increasingly offline, too.

Why I am seeking to stamp out online echo chambers of hate | Lucy Powell

Why did she publish in The Guardian?

"Powell began her career working as a parliamentary assistant for Beverley Hughes MP after having worked at the Labour Party Headquarters in Millbank Tower during the 1997 general election campaign.[4]
She joined the pro-Euro and pro-EU Treaty pressure group Britain in Europe (BiE) originally in a role and later as head of regional campaigning.[5]
Then she worked for the non-departmental public body or quango NESTA (the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts) initially in a public affairs role and later to establish and manage the Manchester Innovation Fund project.[citation needed]
From May 2010 to September 2010 Powell managed Ed Miliband's successful campaign for the Labour Party leadership.[7]
She served as Miliband's acting and later deputy chief of staff from September 2010 to April 2012.[citation needed] She was selected by the local Constituency Labour Party (CLP) in April 2012 for the 15 November 2012 Manchester Central by-election. "
Lucy Powell - Wikipedia

So why does a professional politician jump on a currently hot topic, opining the current received wisdom?
Could it be to give her career a nudge forward?