Stamp Out Online Echo Chambers

Could this be the end of ARRSE? Lucy Powell MP wants to stamp out closed groups and "By establishing legal accountability for what’s published in large online forums" which could include this forum. And let's face it in this PC world we ain't. Initial reading has passed and second reading is October. Are we doomed or is this a storm in a tea cup?
Why I am seeking to stamp out online echo chambers of hate | Lucy Powell

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/201...p-fights-for-crackdown-on-online-hate-groups/

I would be for it if it also put an end to left wing echo chambers, i.e. the sort of places where they plot the downfall of ARRSE and other sites that they find uncomfortable.

The proposed bill is being prepared for publication (according to the Parliament.uk website) but it is summarised as:

'Summary of the Online Forums Bill 2017-19
A Bill to make administrators and moderators of certain online forums responsible for content published on those forums; to require such administrators and moderators to remove certain content; to require platforms to publish information about such forums; and for connected purposes.'

It is an interesting / worrying bill. The last two sentences of the summary could be very worrying - what information would need to be published? The question of what defines a forum will also be key - for example, discussions can take place via instant messaging apps where the messages are not stored. Is that a forum?

It seems another way of enforcing a conformity of thought, which is not really what freedom of speech is about (if we enjoy it atm). If the bill becomes law, would it oblige mods to constantly censor content, or to ban those contributors who breach the law - and how is hate speech defined? - and render a forum itself an echo chamber of 'safe' opinion?

Arrse isn’t a closed group, therefore doesn’t meet the first criteria, and isn’t occupied by those who follow one line of thought.

The second element on accountability for content could be an issue, however currently the ‘anything goes’ areas of arrse aren’t as weapons free as some people think. The powers that be do have rules
It would be interesting to see what they come up with as criteria to hold the owners liable on content

I would be for it if it also put an end to left wing echo chambers, i.e. the sort of places where they plot the downfall of ARRSE and other sites that they find uncomfortable.
what places are these? got any examples

what places are these? got any examples
I have no idea, because I am not a rabid member of such organisations, but I would be mightily surprised if every conceivable left wing group from Momentum to Gender Fluid Theirs For The Protection Of Funghi From Omnivorous Predators have secretive spaces where they discuss strategies for the downfall of normal people.

Another MP who doesn't understand how the internet works.
its a new world. I'm not sure soiecty and the internet are a good match

Its all a bit honking and mental

Last edited:
I don't know the exact reasoning behind it but something was pushed in Germany a few moths ago that caused many online forums and blogs to close down under threat of prosecution.

I know a couple who were affected, one was a forum linked to a military gear business, they have not managed to re-start their forum. The other was a mate who runs a blog on military/para-military matters - it cost him a decent wedge to a lawyer to meet the criteria.

So much for democracy's and free speech, eh!

Law of unintended consequence could bite her if anti-semitism pings on the radar when auditing various fora.

I have no idea, because I am not a rabid member of such organisations, but I would be mightily surprised if every conceivable left wing group from Momentum to Gender Fluid Theirs For The Protection Of Funghi From Omnivorous Predators have secretive spaces where they discuss strategies for the downfall of normal people.
Like arrse posters :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Could this be the end of ARRSE? Lucy Powell MP wants to stamp out closed groups and "By establishing legal accountability for what’s published in large online forums" which could include this forum. And let's face it in this PC world we ain't. Initial reading has passed and second reading is October. Are we doomed or is this a storm in a tea cup?

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/201...p-fights-for-crackdown-on-online-hate-groups/
Ironically, the Guardian has published this.

Stupid idea by a stupid MP. Won't actually get passed into law so no it won't affect us.

Who blabbed about the existence of the GFTFTPOFFOP group?

We are supposed to be a secret group, but only because no bugger can remember what the acronym stands for.

The proposed bill is being prepared for publication (according to the Parliament.uk website) but it is summarised as:

'Summary of the Online Forums Bill 2017-19
A Bill to make administrators and moderators of certain online forums responsible for content published on those forums; to require such administrators and moderators to remove certain content; to require platforms to publish information about such forums; and for connected purposes.'

It is an interesting / worrying bill. The last two sentences of the summary could be very worrying - what information would need to be published? The question of what defines a forum will also be key - for example, discussions can take place via instant messaging apps where the messages are not stored. Is that a forum?

It seems another way of enforcing a conformity of thought, which is not really what freedom of speech is about (if we enjoy it atm). If the bill becomes law, would it oblige mods to constantly censor content, or to ban those contributors who breach the law - and how is hate speech defined? - and render a forum itself an echo chamber of 'safe' opinion?
And that's the rub. It's a "Bill with good intentions" but when combined with existing/future "hate" speech legislation, Article 11 and 13 being passed by the EU, it smacks of Big Brother.

Anything introduced by Labour seems to be aimed at criminalising the population to a greater or lesser degree. Smoking in buildings is a criminal offence plus all the other criminal offences introduced from Blair onwards. (I've no doubt the Conservatives aren't far behind).

The endgame as far as I can see is to have the law boiled down to:

'What isn't forbidden is mandatory, under pain of fixed penalty notices'

I'm agin it on those grounds alone.

Last edited:

I would imagine we have existing laws to address the issue of hate groups but this MP is to stupid to research that possibility. More law is just what we need or a decent VPN to by pass censorship by idiots.