Stalking with our very own Ugly.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by FatBoyGeorge, Oct 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Took the day off work yesterday and drove down to East Sussex as I was spending the day with Ugly deer stalking. After getting mobbed by his gun dogs we had a few brews and he talked me through the theory of stalking then had a look at his rifle collection. Very impressive, it included a couple of antique bolt actions, one over 100 years old with an optic sight that quite possibly was used in the two world wars.

Venison sausages and chips for lunch dutifully made for us by his wife and then off to some woodland where ugly keeps his pheasants to do some zeroing and a dummy stalk (if the cut-outs stayed up). My first time firing a bolt action bigger than .22 and with a couple of clicks was zero'd in with a 2 inch group. Good enough considering I hadn't fired anything in over 4 years.

Then it was across to West Sussex for the stalk. 80 acres of woodland on a slope leading down to a river. 4 hours on the move and we didn't get to cover it all by the time is was too dark to shoot. Sassy, Ugly's gun dog, was finding scents all over the place and we were closing in on the deer. With their heads bobbing above the growth at dusk we closed in, with a few warning barks they made for the river. Bursting out of the foliage, safety was off and up into the shoulder. Although a shot wasn't taken as it was soon realised that they group of about a dozen were all doe's; including one that was pure white.

A cracking day out and if anyone is interested in an accompanied stalk I'll definitely drop Ugly a line. Worth the diesel even without a kill but that changes on the 31st Oct when the doe's come into season. I'll definitely be going back.

2. Sounds like a cracking day.

IMHO there's very little to beat a good days deer stalking

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I don't know anyone who puts on a day out better than Ugly.

I've said it before - he really knows his onions, and if you want to go out annd enjoy shooting, and get knowledgeable about Deer Management - he's the man.

4. That's definitely true, he also said that you're bald as a coot and to remember to take a hat next time.

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Actually, he's an a-hole! :D

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Tis all true, I'll be out this week again to put a high seat facing where those does ran down. It isnt the first time they've used that same bit of dead ground for an escape route.
    If anyone has ever wondered why there are so many deer and yet you cant always see them then Fallow have tactical use of groiund down to a fine art!

7. Yes there is. I've been stalking my neighbour's 19 year old daughter for weeks now. I've got loads from her washing line. It's f*cking great.

8. Thats why I didn't say there's nothing to beat it :D
    BTW my daughters says can she have her skiddies back if you're done with them?

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

catching up on paperwork and putting Fatboygeorge's details in the machine so we can update the records as and when.
    I went back to the same wood last night, gate lock was thankfully sorted although I had the Master key available aka the bolt croppers.
    I delivered the high seat and two of us stuck it up whilst another drove off to a nearby wood.
    The seat was set up, sassy my bitch settled down and I sat up on stag for a couple of hours, I was amazed at how close the wildlife gets even with a spanial at the bottom and I saw squirrels, rabbits and Pheasants. Before long a nice common Fallow doe appeared but was scared of by two walkers and their dog.
    Here are some pics from the seat, you have almost 200 yards clear in some directions;
    [​IMG]
    Sassy waiting patiently, does her no harm!
    [​IMG]
    This is the stream they cross from the woods on the other side of the valley, they cross our woods to feed on the fields to the south and use this point just over your right shoulder;
    [​IMG]

10. I'm looking forwards to the 31st even more now :)

11. Do you run courses, too? :twisted:

Litotes

12. Yeah, but you'll have to provide your own balaclava.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Took TRSL out this morning for his stalk, good effort but we didnt see the fallow pricket although we managed to bump the herd of does about 5 times and they were alles uber der platz.
    Looking forward to tomorrow and Smudge with his mucker are out and we will thin out that herd!

14. Will see you tomorrow AM!!

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It was very pearl harbour this morning!