Stalking with old surplus rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Nov 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My first deer rifle was an old 1917 BSA SMLE sportered by BSA in 45 and bought when you could send a cheque and your FAC in the post for £75. I shot a few deer with that using a scope before I bought a CZ 550 in 6.5 x 55.
    I have a couple of older rifles in military calibres and have been asked to set up some woodland stalking for carbines in military calibres using iron sights (it does mean less time shooting with light etc)and was wondering at what distance you would be happy shooting at deer?

Yes I am laid up with sciatica and I am not allowed out stalking so I am bored!
  2. 150yards I guess. Which makes me wonder why we fit scopes?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Fashion perhaps? Even on the hill the reds were big and within 250 yards!
  4. I remember knowing a guy in N. Rhodesia who had a German WW2 rifle, complete with Swastika markings, for hunting! A K98 in 7.92 mm, if I remember correctly, he used to shoot various bucks up to Kudu or even Eland in size up to about 200 yds!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

When I took the Rigby there was a fault with the scope so I left it on 4 times! The ghillie complained but it was probably on par with an early 1970's scope!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps! Sent from my Blackberry!
  6. With iron sights and my first SMLE, I was confident of a killing shot at a moose or elk, up to about 200 yards. Being long out of practice I'd not attempt it now though.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Feck me if our deer were the size of Elk (think medium sized house) I would be confident of hitting its vitals! Mind you .303 is more than enough as is the swede!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps! Sent from my Blackberry!
  8. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Iron sights or scope the furthest for me has always been about 150 yds to ensure I get a kill. No sense in just injuring the bugger 'cos it means nothing to eat if it legs it.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. So you can pretend you've got some Jap in your sights!
  10. I've certainly bagged some Sika with my scoped No.4 - no pretending required! :)
  11. Keep talking bring pick-u-tures. I'm getting tumescent!
  12. cruel shooting sika with them long guns that make a bigbang, used to call them to the salt lick after the first real snow, pop them neatly behind the
    ear with the wifes ruger pistol, saved the long carry up the 1in 3 hill,that was in early 70,s germany in a game park, a lot more sporting than
    certain cavalry officers who came down from Fally for 1000mark shooting weekends, who ended up shooting reds and Altai maral in the
    feeding pen,regimental stalkers I,ve shit em!!
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

$75.00 what's not to love...

14. What I mean by a killing shot, is one that drops it in it's tracks, or at least within 50 yards. A .303 anywhere in the body will kill it eventually, not something that I want.
  15. I don't think you need worry about Ugly going for the Texas Heart Shot - he takes it a bit more seriously than that.