Stalking sticks - bipod/tripod

So I'm thinking of getting some of these, but would appreciate the forum's advice. Are they a) great bit of kit, did wonders for my sitting/standing shooting or b) waste of money, too unwieldy to cart around and anyway there's always a tree or fence to lean on isn't there.

If you tend towards the former view would welcome any tips on what to get/avoid; there seems a lot to choose from ranging between £35 (presumably a bit gash) to over £150.

I experimented with some cheap ones and found them cumbersome. I then came across a locally made shooting stick, 6ft tall with a horn v shape handle which the rifle sits in neatly. Hold the stick by the shaft and it’s rock solid. Easier to walk with and much cheapness, ie £15. I have had it several years now and wouldn’t change it.
Others will have different preferences.
My criteria is easy to carry, works every time with no drama and much cheapness.

ugly

LE
I used to poo poo them especially anything that needed to be deployed but took a muntjac buck on the stubble in twilight using a set left me by the guide. I couldn't have taken the 250 yard shot without them. I'm still not sure if I will ever buy a set but if I can recall the model I'd recommend them, but long, I strong and light with a wide fore end rest and not very fiddly

ugly

LE
Looking through this months keeping the balance viper flex sticks are advertised/reviewed on page 69. I think these are the ones. They are not cheap

I've heard good things about the Viper Flex. I bought a set of Seeland Decoy quad sticks a couple of years ago. They do the job, but the leg adjustment system is pants, and so one of the legs ended up falling out and getting lost somewhere. It was easy enough to knock up a replacement though.

I took a deep breath and bought the Viper Flex Journey sticks. At the end of the day it’s a one-time-buy and I plan to get masses of use out of them so the cost-per-use made the business case.

Very well designed and beautifully made sticks, pretty much bullet proof. I did have to slacken off the hinge screws slightly so that the rear support drops down without intervention meaning you can deploy the sticks one-handed whilst the rifle is in your other hand ready to mount.

I generally use a 13-26” Harris bipod (pricey but worth it) fixed to the rifle most of the year which gets you above cover and you can take shots sitting or a set of long sticks made from metal green plastic covered garden canes with a bolt through the top (about a tenner).

I’ve tried quad sticks and can’t get on with them, primos trigger sticks - good but not worth the money imo so have got on with the home made numbers, sturdy enough and very quick to deploy.

I kind of go along the lines of if you can’t get a shot off with either of them you either get closer/into a better position or go home.

ugly

LE
I generally use a 13-26” Harris bipod (pricey but worth it) fixed to the rifle most of the year which gets you above cover and you can take shots sitting or a set of long sticks made from metal green plastic covered garden canes with a bolt through the top (about a tenner).

I’ve tried quad sticks and can’t get on with them, primos trigger sticks - good but not worth the money imo so have got on with the home made numbers, sturdy enough and very quick to deploy.

I kind of go along the lines of if you can’t get a shot off with either of them you either get closer/into a better position or go home.
My view too, and but that muntjac was too far away without the sticks and roe have an annoying habit of buggering off about 100 extra yards just when you are getting close enough

ugly

LE
There have been a few good reviews in the NGO magazine recently, "Keeping the Balance", I may get some of the items for testing and put them up on here.
As an aside I may be doing firearms and ammo reviews for a magazine soon. I suppose the RFD helps.

ugly

LE
The British Empire was built on that principle !
Nearly but not quite, initially our unemployable scots or irish scum would do that for us but true empire building involved getting one set of locals to biff another set of locals allowing us to rule over them for little cost!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Facey_Romford The NAAFI Bar 190
303SMLE Sports, Adventure Training and Events 30
Dr_Evil The NAAFI Bar 19