Stalked by misery

Issi

LE
You're being facetious, but in certain infantry battalions theft was a serious problem. It wasn't confined to private soldiers either.

As a young soldier I had some items of privately bought kit stolen by a JNCO. His attitude was "What are you going to do about it?"

When it came down to it, there was precisely nothing that I could do about it.
I had a similar issue, and I still wonder how I could/should have dealt with it?
I lent a colleague a item of clothing, and he just point blank refused to give it back.
We were the same rank and he was a nasty little Brummie, and I don’t mind admitting, that he may well have won in a scrap.

It felt too trivial to bother my superiors over a £30 shirt, I didn’t want a fight and so I just felt that I had to write it off.
Still annoys me, many years later.

I had a similar issue, and I still wonder how I could/should have dealt with it?
I lent a colleague a item of clothing, and he just point blank refused to give it back.
We were the same rank and he was a nasty little Brummie, and I don’t mind admitting, that he may well have won in a scrap.

It felt too trivial to bother my superiors over a £30 shirt, I didn’t want a fight and so I just felt that I had to write it off.
Still annoys me, many years later.

In my case I was a young private soldier, new in battalion and a long way from home. I knew nobody, had no military street smarts, and was still conditioned to jump when I saw stripes.

The turd of a lance jack who robbed me had been in since he was 15, done two tours of Ireland and just returned from junior Brecon. He had dozens of mates in the unit.

Have a fight with him - I was too afraid of him; simple as. I was also afraid of going to jail.
Ambush him and smash him - maybe if I'd been a bit older and harder, but if I had been, he wouldn't have robbed me in the first place.
Grass him up - forget about it. Life would have been hell.

Basically any course of action would have opened a cycle of retaliation and I'd have lost at every stage.

A look on Facepest showed me that the thief retired as a CSM. I know where he lives, but I really can't be arsed.