• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Stalingrad

#1
Started trawling through the other 40 odd pages of this section to see if it had been mentioned already but haven't got time at the mo...soooo...i read Beevor's Stalingrad a while back and i'm currently half way through http://www.amazon.ca/Voices-Stalingrad-Nemesis-Jonathan-Bastable/dp/0715321765 so i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a really good read/book list....more so the soldiers story than the big picture :wink: many thanx!
 
#2
Have you tried the "Books to read when bored on stag" thread?
 
#3
Try Vassily Grossmans 'life and fate' probably the best 'Eastern Front' book ever
 
#4
PartTimePongo said:
Have you tried the "Books to read when bored on stag" thread?
nope...will look into it later...thanx anyway all :wink:
 
#5
Guy Sajers Forgotten Soldier is a great read from a German soldiers point of view on the Eastern Front. There is some debate about its authenticity - but in my opinion largely unfounded. Pick it up you won't regret it.
 
#6
yeah...well impressed when i read that......i've read quite a few books on WW2...mainly post 42 as that's the years i'm interested in......trying to concentrate purely on Stalingrad at the mo.... just ordered 3 books from amazon to feed the fire..lol :lol:
 
#7
May I suggest a different tack.
Joseph Attard "The Battle of Malta".
An excellent read from all points and especially from
civilians point of view.
 
#9
105AVRE said:
yeah...well impressed when i read that......i've read quite a few books on WW2...mainly post 42 as that's the years i'm interested in......trying to concentrate purely on Stalingrad at the mo.... just ordered 3 books from amazon to feed the fire..lol :lol:
What have you ordered, if I may ask?
 
#10
Could try 'War on the Eastern Front - The German soldier in Russia' by James Lucas. 'Interviews, diaries, letters and other unpublished material', of German soldiers.

No.9
 
#11
Tartan_Terrier said:
105AVRE said:
yeah...well impressed when i read that......i've read quite a few books on WW2...mainly post 42 as that's the years i'm interested in......trying to concentrate purely on Stalingrad at the mo.... just ordered 3 books from amazon to feed the fire..lol :lol:
What have you ordered, if I may ask?
oops...should read... 2!
Victory at Stalingrad - Geoffry Roberts
Christmas at Stalingrad - Beevor (pocket penguins)

and the other one was Decision at St Vith - Charles Whiting...as i've got most of the others in the Spellmount Siegfried Line series....Berlin by Beevor was very interesting.....and his books seem to be the ones i compare the rest to for ease of read and sources of information :)
 
#12
Try Enemy at the Gates by William Graig. This came out in the 70's and was used by Beevor. The film mainly dealt with the sniper duel but the book itself is a good, balanced readable account.

Stalingrad by Edward P Hoyt. American author but very readable.

The road to Stalingrad by John Erickson. Leading expert on the Eastern Front. A mega book but covers all of the Eastern Front from Barbarossa to Stalingrad. His second book, the road to Berlin, deals with 43-45.

Secret of Stalingrad. Can't remember the author at the moment but this was also released in the 70's and the author had access to Russian archives at the time and was one of the first to lay out the big plan behind the Russian offensive.

I shall check my library tonight for others I can dig up. :wink:
 
#14
thanx for the titles...just ordered blood red snow,life and fate and war on the eastern front :D should keep me busy for a few months! :lol:
 
#15
intli said:
Try Enemy at the Gates by William Graig. This came out in the 70's and was used by Beevor. The film mainly dealt with the sniper duel but the book itself is a good, balanced readable account.

Stalingrad by Edward P Hoyt. American author but very readable.

The road to Stalingrad by John Erickson. Leading expert on the Eastern Front. A mega book but covers all of the Eastern Front from Barbarossa to Stalingrad. His second book, the road to Berlin, deals with 43-45.

Secret of Stalingrad. Can't remember the author at the moment but this was also released in the 70's and the author had access to Russian archives at the time and was one of the first to lay out the big plan behind the Russian offensive.

I shall check my library tonight for others I can dig up. :wink:
I did read "War Of The Rats"(David Robbins) which is nearly exactly the same as the "Enemy At The Gates" film....i presume it's the same as the book? either way....very riveting read as well :wink:
 
#16
I have a copy of "Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. It's the memoir of a french volunteer in the Wehrmacht.
 
#17
105AVRE said:
intli said:
Try Enemy at the Gates by William Graig. This came out in the 70's and was used by Beevor. The film mainly dealt with the sniper duel but the book itself is a good, balanced readable account.

Stalingrad by Edward P Hoyt. American author but very readable.

The road to Stalingrad by John Erickson. Leading expert on the Eastern Front. A mega book but covers all of the Eastern Front from Barbarossa to Stalingrad. His second book, the road to Berlin, deals with 43-45.

Secret of Stalingrad. Can't remember the author at the moment but this was also released in the 70's and the author had access to Russian archives at the time and was one of the first to lay out the big plan behind the Russian offensive.

I shall check my library tonight for others I can dig up. :wink:
I did read "War Of The Rats"(David Robbins) which is nearly exactly the same as the "Enemy At The Gates" film....i presume it's the same as the book? either way....very riveting read as well :wink:
War of the Rats is a good book, but was novel based on Stalingrad, not a history. Enemy at the Gates was one of the first readable histories of Stalingrad and beevor used a lot for his research. The film Enemy at the gates utilised the story of the snipers from the book then expanded on it for the main theme of the film, using the battle as background. :wink:
 
#18
Two classics from the German side; "Hitler Moves East" and "Scorched Earth" both by Paul Carell. Covers the whole Eastern Front from beginning to end in a very easy to read and fascinating manner, using extracts from a multitude of sources on the German side and quite a few Russian sources. A companion photo volume was also published, mainly colour photos by German soldiers. Was reprinted a few years ago and J. J. Fedorowicz Publishing in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada might still have copies. They reprint a great many of the better German books. The chapters on the fighting in the Crimea and Sevastopal amazed me when I first read them, descriptions of fighting in the underground fortresses (virtual cities) to the last man.
 
#19
I just checked Google and Carell`s books seem to be available, including two others worthy of mention "Invasion! They`re Coming!" (Normandy) and "Foxes of the Desert", all fairly well received. Editions Heimdal in France also publishes a series of first rate photo compilations of various battles/ campaigns in WW1 and WW2 ,although they`re a bit expensive they are superb books with many never before published photos, large format books.
 
#20
Have just read 'The Russian Front 1941-1945' by Bob Carruthers and John Erickson. A very interesting book presenting the key issues and the balance of arguments from each side. Loads of photos and diagrams. Found the analysis of the competing technologies interesting - specially the tank comparisons.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top