Stalingrad

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by 105AVRE, Dec 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Started trawling through the other 40 odd pages of this section to see if it had been mentioned already but haven't got time at the mo...soooo...i read Beevor's Stalingrad a while back and i'm currently half way through http://www.amazon.ca/Voices-Stalingrad-Nemesis-Jonathan-Bastable/dp/0715321765 so i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a really good read/book list....more so the soldiers story than the big picture :wink: many thanx!

2. Have you tried the "Books to read when bored on stag" thread?

3. Try Vassily Grossmans 'life and fate' probably the best 'Eastern Front' book ever

4. nope...will look into it later...thanx anyway all :wink:

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Guy Sajers Forgotten Soldier is a great read from a German soldiers point of view on the Eastern Front. There is some debate about its authenticity - but in my opinion largely unfounded. Pick it up you won't regret it.

6. yeah...well impressed when i read that......i've read quite a few books on WW2...mainly post 42 as that's the years i'm interested in......trying to concentrate purely on Stalingrad at the mo.... just ordered 3 books from amazon to feed the fire..lol :lol:

7. May I suggest a different tack.
    Joseph Attard "The Battle of Malta".
    An excellent read from all points and especially from
    civilians point of view.

8. Beevor's "Berlin" is also a good read, pretty much in the same vein as "Stalingrad". I enjoyed both.

9. What have you ordered, if I may ask?

10. Could try 'War on the Eastern Front - The German soldier in Russia' by James Lucas. 'Interviews, diaries, letters and other unpublished material', of German soldiers.

No.9

11. oops...should read... 2!
    Victory at Stalingrad - Geoffry Roberts
    Christmas at Stalingrad - Beevor (pocket penguins)

and the other one was Decision at St Vith - Charles Whiting...as i've got most of the others in the Spellmount Siegfried Line series....Berlin by Beevor was very interesting.....and his books seem to be the ones i compare the rest to for ease of read and sources of information :)

12. Try Enemy at the Gates by William Graig. This came out in the 70's and was used by Beevor. The film mainly dealt with the sniper duel but the book itself is a good, balanced readable account.

Stalingrad by Edward P Hoyt. American author but very readable.

The road to Stalingrad by John Erickson. Leading expert on the Eastern Front. A mega book but covers all of the Eastern Front from Barbarossa to Stalingrad. His second book, the road to Berlin, deals with 43-45.

Secret of Stalingrad. Can't remember the author at the moment but this was also released in the 70's and the author had access to Russian archives at the time and was one of the first to lay out the big plan behind the Russian offensive.

I shall check my library tonight for others I can dig up. :wink:

13. Try Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front by Gunter K. Koschorrek (Author). It is a good book bought it a few years ago, he fought at Stalingrad but was wounded and evacuated and the went onto fight on the Eastern Front again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/185367639X/?tag=armrumser-21

14. thanx for the titles...just ordered blood red snow,life and fate and war on the eastern front :D should keep me busy for a few months! :lol:

15. I did read "War Of The Rats"(David Robbins) which is nearly exactly the same as the "Enemy At The Gates" film....i presume it's the same as the book? either way....very riveting read as well :wink: