stalingrad tours

D

Deleted 76563

Howya lads.
It has been my intention for some time now to do a battlefield tour in this city, whatever it's called nowadays. Does anyone have any personal experiences or recommendations they would like to share? Cheers.

Would you get into the country & more importantly, get back out again?

D

Deleted 76563

Would you get into the country & more importantly, get back out again?

Thats the kind of thinking that prompted the post, though I'm led to believe that the city is like any other in terms of its safety for tourists and usual rules apply.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure I'd be in too much of a hurry to go to Russia right at the moment and Volgagrad aka Tsaritsyn is a bit far from the beaten track. Not much to see, either, apart from the monuments various, I gather there was a robust urban renewal programme there in 1942-3.

D

Deleted 76563

All valid.
I have a long time interest in the going's on there and would like to do the City museums etc and if possible do a walk around the Kursk battlegrounds.
Thanks for input.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
All valid.
I have a long time interest in the going's on there and would like to do the City museums etc and if possible do a walk around the Kursk battlegrounds.
Thanks for input.
Well, Kursk is rather a long way from there and the terrain isn't inspiring - basically MMFA, hence why the Boche thought it'd be ideal for Zitadelle.

D

Deleted 76563

True, I do a lot of hillwalking so the area may offer a change. There are many reasons not to go, it's an itch I'd like to scratch while I'm still able.
Thanks.

D

Deleted 20555

You'd be better off going to look at the British Army battlefields in Natal tbh - some of them are really interesting and the food and booze are first rate as are the opportunities for rambling up and down the Dragon Mountains...

B42T

LE
You'd be about 100kms out if you went looking for battlefields at Kursk.
They actually took place around Prokhorovka.