Stalin Blocked Hitler Assasination Attempts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Zemlyak, May 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And? By '43 it was a given in the west that Hitler in control was infinitely better than someone who had the nouse to give his subordinates a bit of Mission Command.

Stalin may have had his own reasons, but it was the right decision.

2. I've heard the same too.

It was interesting tho' that the Soviets had a 'mole' friendly with the Nazi bigwigs. I wonder if the western allies had the same.

3. My rose tinted image of Stalin has been ruined...

4. Probably self preservation, after all if Hitler was dead who was the next biggest murdering git around at the time --Stalin??

5. I am not porepared to do the research to prove it but I rather think that when it comes to total body count, it might be the other way round!

6. I think you would be right...

7. so now I am confused, can you say simply who you think was responsible for more Deaths :

Hitler

or

Stalin

8. Stalin

9. Your estimate based on?

10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Not including starting a war on either part I would think- which seems fair!

11. Gremlin

Churchill came to the same conclusion as well, and is even rumoured to have stopped a couple of assassination attempts.

12. I thought Hitler had 50odd million and Stalin, throughout his reign was 80odd million

13. Gremlin

Approx 13M for Adolf if you remove the war stats (but not the POWs) and 20M for Josef; but all that depends on which source you use and which figures they include.

(the 80M figure was a pre1991 SWAG - and a bad one)