Stainless steel or Carbon steel ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by semper, Sep 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. which is best for perfomance, strength, keeping its edge and ease of sharpening ?

Stainless steel or Carbon steel knives ?

2. Carbon steel, takes more looking after though
  3. Carbon steel though does rust if gets wet easily sorted out though .Stainless steel looks good but takes ages too resharpen.
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You could always try a carbon/stainless laminate.

It depends how much you think the blade will be subject to the elements, and how much you want to pay.
  5. Good carbon steel, say of the kind still occasionally used in chefs' knives, holds an edge much better than basic stainless. However, there are a number of modern stainless steels that rival carbon steel in this respect and are easier to keep clean - obviously.

The Internet is full of information on this topic - try Doug Ritter's site "Equipped to Survive" to start with.
  6. Carbon Steel; dry as soon as wash
  7. Go for Damascus. Tops for impressing easily impressed types, but also nice in the cutting and keeping-sharp departments. Unfortunately expensive; sorry about that.
  8. I agree with Whisybreath here. Damascus blades sharpen up to the "dergs berlecks". But I've a Cold Steel Trailmaster in carbon steel that'll still easily lop off bits of free-hanging one-inch hemp rope and I've had it for 15 years. Carbon steel is the way to go, in spite of the crappy look!

9. mm interesting Carbon steel is a favourite

so Stainless Steel is not up to the job.