"Staging on"

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by 1stgulfmac, Apr 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok folks this is not a wah!

Now someone at work has just asked me why is it called "on stag" "Staging on" etc. I haven't a clue so over to you...

2. It's actually "stagging on", from "stag" or "doing stag", which comes in in turn from "standing guard".

PK

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

4. Is this what Natasha Richardson isn't doing now?

5. Stag, to stagger, to arrange in alternating or overlapping time periods, it's in the dictionary

6. Thank you! Despite my biff spellung

7. I know, I know Sir............!

and this is not a wah before any stupid person challenges me.

"Cuidich 'N Righ!" which means, Save the King was the motto of the Queens Own Highlanders, (now the Highlanders after an act of vandalisim perpetrated by maggoty reptilian politicians left them amalgamated with the Gordons).

Cuidich 'N Righ! means "Help the King".

The story behind this motto is that king Alexander III was hunting in the forest of Mar and was unhorsed by an infuriated stag, which had been pursued by hounds. The story continues that the MacKenzie chief "Colin of Kintail" ran to the King's aid with the shout of "Cuidich 'n Righ", before killing the stag. In gratitude the King granted the use of a "Stags head caboshed" (cut off at the neck) as the armorial bearings of the MacKenzie of Seaforth, together with the motto "Cuidich n' Righ

The Seaforth and Camerons amalgamated in 1961 to form the QO Hldrs and the regiment bore the stags head and the motto as their cap badge, (though surmounted by the thistle and crown post amalgamation).

From the earliest days of the formation of the Seaforths then, being on sentry duty or, being in any position of vigilance or defence, was colloquially known as "stagging on."

From service with other regiments throughout the eighteenth century in India and South Africa the term spread until in common use by the rest of the Army.

There, I knew that would come in useful one day.

[​IMG]

8. So Cuidich 'N Righ means both Help/Save the King? So its not staggering etc.

More usefull stuff to use in quiz's.

9. either or; the Gaelic translation works with both. You'll find different regimental and historical records use both too.

Not staggering laddie; this is serious stuff - men died for that cap badge.

10. As an Argyll's supporter (Born in Stirling) Highland pride is rife.

11. Quite, all this other hoo-ha about decapitated deer and Highlander's hats is obvious Boll*cks. It comes from the staggered guard roster, the "stag list", I would have thought it was obvious, but then again maybe not unless you're an ex-Infanteer?

12. It comes from 'Static Guard' or 'Standing Guard'.

13. well done!; I thought my April Fool was destined to be lost in the ARRSE vaults forever; pleased someone outed it. I've absolutly no idea what the true origins are myself.

14. I think you are right. When is the first documented use of the term? Perhaps it is the Second World War? I donlt recall any of the IWM sound archives of WW1 veterans using the term.

15. QOH hmmmmm...

Kaboshed... well that'll put the Kybosh on any other theory then...

See what I did there?

The "Crucified (Croocified) Moose" was also the cap badge of 3/51 A&SH (V) in the mid to late 80's IIRC.

The motto's are "Sans Puer" and "Ne..." something or other - I can never remember.

I'll pick up my Swinging Six on the way out...