Gentlemen, Ladies,

Is their a DIN - document telling you 'everything'

regarding the dress for a Staff Officer (colonel or above) once he leaves his Regiment/Battalion and goes into the world of the 'big boy'?

Point me in the right direction (it is not for me it is for a friend!).

Pending reply from someone more knowledgeable on this sort of thing, you could try looking for JSP 336, formerly Mat Regs, called something else now.

Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think you will find this is an area between rules and accepted practise. Several years ago I saw the relevant Dress Regs in a military tailors. They should wear the standard SD and Mess Dress and Blues. The only difference is that Medical and dental officers continue to wear Dull Cherry/Green facings instead of scarlet.

In practise many continue to wear regimental pattern uniforms with accoutrement relevant to their rank. Some change buttons some don't.

I hope your friend is not planning to advise a Colonel that he is incorrectly dressed - not unless he wants to be invited to make use of the mess Webley.
The Dress Regulations for Army Officers will contain all info you need; failing finding a recent copy, the Army Electronic Library has draft Dress Regs that are pretty accurate.

Generally speaking (excuse the pun) Cols & above wear exactly the same as Regimental Dress except:

- No collar badges, instead gorget patches
- Cap badge replaced with Staff Officer badge (in all forms of dress)
- ALL Buttons change to staff officers ones (The Order of the Garter for Cols/Brigs, and the same as the cap badge for Generals)
- Mess kit is a generic Staff Officer pattern (no cap badges or reg accoutrements)
- Forage Caps change to Univeral Pattern (Dark Blue with a red band) & the peaks get a single row of Oakleaf (two for Gens). HOWEVER, more and more Staff Officers are simply re-peaking their Reg pattern caps to keep Regimental identity
- Service Dress hats get a red band around the main body and an emroidered Staff Officer cap badge

Hope this helps, but as BuggerAll eludes to, the regulations & accepted practise sometimes differ depending on Regimental tradition. The rules are simply interpreted differently!