STAFF OFFICER DRESS

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Delhispearman, Apr 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen, Ladies,

Is their a DIN - document telling you 'everything'

regarding the dress for a Staff Officer (colonel or above) once he leaves his Regiment/Battalion and goes into the world of the 'big boy'?

Point me in the right direction (it is not for me it is for a friend!).

TY

2. Pending reply from someone more knowledgeable on this sort of thing, you could try looking for JSP 336, formerly Mat Regs, called something else now.

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I think you will find this is an area between rules and accepted practise. Several years ago I saw the relevant Dress Regs in a military tailors. They should wear the standard SD and Mess Dress and Blues. The only difference is that Medical and dental officers continue to wear Dull Cherry/Green facings instead of scarlet.

In practise many continue to wear regimental pattern uniforms with accoutrement relevant to their rank. Some change buttons some don't.

I hope your friend is not planning to advise a Colonel that he is incorrectly dressed - not unless he wants to be invited to make use of the mess Webley.

4. The Dress Regulations for Army Officers will contain all info you need; failing finding a recent copy, the Army Electronic Library has draft Dress Regs that are pretty accurate.

Generally speaking (excuse the pun) Cols & above wear exactly the same as Regimental Dress except:

- No collar badges, instead gorget patches
    - Cap badge replaced with Staff Officer badge (in all forms of dress)
    - ALL Buttons change to staff officers ones (The Order of the Garter for Cols/Brigs, and the same as the cap badge for Generals)
    - Mess kit is a generic Staff Officer pattern (no cap badges or reg accoutrements)
    - Forage Caps change to Univeral Pattern (Dark Blue with a red band) & the peaks get a single row of Oakleaf (two for Gens). HOWEVER, more and more Staff Officers are simply re-peaking their Reg pattern caps to keep Regimental identity
    - Service Dress hats get a red band around the main body and an emroidered Staff Officer cap badge

Hope this helps, but as BuggerAll eludes to, the regulations & accepted practise sometimes differ depending on Regimental tradition. The rules are simply interpreted differently!

5. try the BOWO London District, he is the font of all knowledge on this subject.