Stack Steamer...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by dhgrainger1, Mar 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My missus' mum has randomly given me a spare stack steamer she got as a free gift form work.

I have no idea how to cook stuff in it.

Help!!

2. Not even conjoined kidney?.

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It's the most used piece of kit in my kitchen!
    Generally what I do is bung the hardest items in the bottom (ie baby spuds,whole carrots ect) or fish.Turn on the time for 20 min & then test the stuff every now & again with a sharp knife.The easier the nife goes thru the more cooed it is,trial & error mate in all honesty is the best
    I if you got the clear solid bowl,bung your frozen veg in it for about 5 minutes & stick in the top tier.It's great for making perfect boiled spuds for mash.
    Honestly mate,It's the best thing I ever bought for the kitchen!
    Spike

4. Exactly what he said!

Osta

5. Cheers, I#ve found some stuff on cooking veg, and that's all fine and dandy but...being the lazy arrse I am I want to cook a whole meal in the thing so I can save on washing up. What I've done is bung a pack of chicken breasts in the bottom (I'll be fridging some for and after gym snack tomorrow), and stuck some broccoli and baby carrots in the top. We'll see what happens, I've put them in for half an hour, but will check every 5 because I've used the last of my chicken and want a tea that tastes nice!

6. Nice simple meal is, get a bag of bacon misshapes and cut it all up into pieces, trim off the fat, keep enough for the number of people you are feeding, then freeze the rest in a thin layer in freezer bags for carbonaras etc.

Then using new potatoes (better taste), scrub and put in a layer in the steamer, setting clock for 30 minutes.
    After 10 minutes, place on top of the spuds a layer of your favourite cabbage, then a layer of bacon pieces.
    Keep stabbing spuds with a knife till tender.
    You can serve it like that with knobs of butter, or even better pour over some buttery parsley sauce.

7. Vinnie, that sounds pretty blody tasty, also like the idea of freezing bacon bits in a thin layer so you can break off as much as you need!

SITREP 1857: Sat contented after a very good meal cooked on the steamer. Chucked in 4 chicken breat fillets on the bottom, sprinkled some herbs de provence (quite tasty, for french food) and some oregano. Set them to cook, 10 minutes later, chucked some largish brocoli branches and a handful of chardenay carrots on the top tier. another 20 minutes and then eat!

Pointers: Chicken goes a bit tough on the side furthest away from the water at the bottom, probably should have turned them halfway through or cooked for less time. Carrots could probably have done with 15, not twenty minutes, and brocoli probably 10 not 20. Very tasty though, I shall be using that contraption again!

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Try putting the chicken in tin foil with a dash of white wine (make a handbag shape of the foil,sort of a 'U' shape) some mushrooms,carrots & leek,season & seal the bag,cook for the same amount of time.
    Ideal if you want to win poits with the missus.(in that case use greaseproof paper & serve the handbag on the plate.
    Spike

9. Had this last night.... regular favourite.

Recipe for 2

Get a few leeks... Aldi do good ones- lots of white, about an inch diameter.

Make a cheese sauce with 4 tsps of cornflour and 1/2 pt of milk, then add a little more as it thickens to a creamy consistency, then add 2 oz grated mature cheddar.

Top and tail then cut into 3 inch sections from the root end of the leeks.

As it gets into the green they start to get grit in the leaves, so slice and wash these, fry in a little oil and freeze, just like the bacon, for snapping off bits for other dishes.

Take some of the bacon pieces, about 4 ozs and fry gently in a little oil until cooked then add to the cheese sauce

Take the white sections, about 5 per person, and steam for about 5 minutes.

Place in suitable pie- dish, shallow casserole to be a loose fit, then pour over the cheese sauce, cover in foil.

Put oven chips on a tray, put on top shelf, leeks on bottom rack in medium hot, 175c oven.

When chips are nearly done, take leeks out, remove foil, cover leeks with 2 thinly sliced tomatoes,sprinkle 2 ozs of cheddar over the top and return to the oven.

Vegetarian option.... leave out bacon.

Vegan option...... take large leek, smear in infusion of basil, rosemary and extra virgin olive oil....

tell them to stick it up their arrse