Stable Belt

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by LanceBombardEars, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was at a location today using some training facilities when I saw an RA TRF in amongst all the Really Large Corps who dominate the place.
    The guy had a stable belt on, but the dimensions of the different colours looked wrong.
    On my old belt the red and blue bands were roughly the same width, with a thinner gold band through the blue.
    On the belt I saw today, the red bands looked much narrower and the gold much wider.
    Unfortunately the gunner had disappeared before I could get outside and ask him.
    Has the design changed?

2. No, I believe it's a 4th Regt belt - not sure of the 'legality' as per Dress Regs though!

GBTD

3. It is a 4th belt and the legality of the belt i am led to believe is easy......the new 4th Regt stable belt was commisioned by the regiment in 2003. I believe that this decision to commision the new stable belt was made far higher up the CoC than regt level. The belt by the way comes from a years gone by when the regt was airbourne and wore the same design belt then.

4. The belt was reinstituted at the behest of a former commanding officer. Dress regs do not cover it, but it was agreeed by the RA dress committee who govern such matters for the Royal Regiment.

5. A couple of years ago, G (Mercers) resurected their Bty Stable Belt from the 60's(?), whether that one's still in use, I'm not sure.

6. Cheers fellas,
    I've looked at the link from the evil scotsman and that is the design I saw. I can remember years ago there was talk of Battery stable belts, but I think the idea never got off the ground.
    I generally think its no bad thing for Regiments to have a bit of individual identity. When I joined 94 Loc Regt RA in 89 we were wearing cloth cap badges (non-Rupert type) because the CO decided we would.

7. Ref bty stable belts...At 2nd, each of the btys had their own belt. It was regimental policy. The standard RA belt was worn by HQ bty. It really gave each bty their own sense of identity, a great idea.

8. More than a couple of years ago. All the gun Bty's in 7th have their own belts. HQ Bty (H bty) wear the normal RHA one.

9. Cheers FiveAlpha

I only became aware of it a couple of years ago, but I agree with TalaveraTom. I think it's a great idea and does give a feeling of belonging.

10. My bold
    sure you dont mean yellow band

11. Oh dear...TUT TUT!!! :roll:

12. lol only joking
    ill get my coat

13. I remember in the early 90s there was a RA mob who used to wear a similar belt, with a much wider and paler gold band.... it wasn't 4, but I can't remember who it was. Possbily an AD mob.

IIRC there were a lot of tartan stable belts kicking around at 40 too. Pipers and RPs wore them....

In the RSignals we have a lots of different stable belts now.... including lots of the former Yeomanrys Belts.

14. The Regt. was Airborne? Are you sure?