Stable Belt

#1
I was at a location today using some training facilities when I saw an RA TRF in amongst all the Really Large Corps who dominate the place.
The guy had a stable belt on, but the dimensions of the different colours looked wrong.
On my old belt the red and blue bands were roughly the same width, with a thinner gold band through the blue.
On the belt I saw today, the red bands looked much narrower and the gold much wider.
Unfortunately the gunner had disappeared before I could get outside and ask him.
Has the design changed?
 
#4
goatbagthedruid said:
No, I believe it's a 4th Regt belt - not sure of the 'legality' as per Dress Regs though!

GBTD
It is a 4th belt and the legality of the belt i am led to believe is easy......the new 4th Regt stable belt was commisioned by the regiment in 2003. I believe that this decision to commision the new stable belt was made far higher up the CoC than regt level. The belt by the way comes from a years gone by when the regt was airbourne and wore the same design belt then.
 
#5
The belt was reinstituted at the behest of a former commanding officer. Dress regs do not cover it, but it was agreeed by the RA dress committee who govern such matters for the Royal Regiment.
 
#6
A couple of years ago, G (Mercers) resurected their Bty Stable Belt from the 60's(?), whether that one's still in use, I'm not sure.
 
#7
Cheers fellas,
I've looked at the link from the evil scotsman and that is the design I saw. I can remember years ago there was talk of Battery stable belts, but I think the idea never got off the ground.
I generally think its no bad thing for Regiments to have a bit of individual identity. When I joined 94 Loc Regt RA in 89 we were wearing cloth cap badges (non-Rupert type) because the CO decided we would.
 
#8
LanceBombardEars said:
Cheers fellas,
I've looked at the link from the evil scotsman and that is the design I saw. I can remember years ago there was talk of Battery stable belts, but I think the idea never got off the ground.
I generally think its no bad thing for Regiments to have a bit of individual identity. When I joined 94 Loc Regt RA in 89 we were wearing cloth cap badges (non-Rupert type) because the CO decided we would.
Ref bty stable belts...At 2nd, each of the btys had their own belt. It was regimental policy. The standard RA belt was worn by HQ bty. It really gave each bty their own sense of identity, a great idea.
 
#9
OP_ACK said:
A couple of years ago, G (Mercers) resurected their Bty Stable Belt from the 60's(?), whether that one's still in use, I'm not sure.
More than a couple of years ago. All the gun Bty's in 7th have their own belts. HQ Bty (H bty) wear the normal RHA one.
 
#10
Cheers FiveAlpha

I only became aware of it a couple of years ago, but I agree with TalaveraTom. I think it's a great idea and does give a feeling of belonging.
 
#11
LanceBombardEars said:
I was at a location today using some training facilities when I saw an RA TRF in amongst all the Really Large Corps who dominate the place.
The guy had a stable belt on, but the dimensions of the different colours looked wrong.
On my old belt the red and blue bands were roughly the same width, with a thinner gold band through the blue.
On the belt I saw today, the red bands looked much narrower and the gold much wider.
Unfortunately the gunner had disappeared before I could get outside and ask him.
Has the design changed?
My bold
sure you dont mean yellow band
 
#12
keeffy said:
LanceBombardEars said:
I was at a location today using some training facilities when I saw an RA TRF in amongst all the Really Large Corps who dominate the place.
The guy had a stable belt on, but the dimensions of the different colours looked wrong.
On my old belt the red and blue bands were roughly the same width, with a thinner gold band through the blue.
On the belt I saw today, the red bands looked much narrower and the gold much wider.
Unfortunately the gunner had disappeared before I could get outside and ask him.
Has the design changed?
My bold
sure you dont mean yellow band
Oh dear...TUT TUT!!! :roll:
 
#14
I remember in the early 90s there was a RA mob who used to wear a similar belt, with a much wider and paler gold band.... it wasn't 4, but I can't remember who it was. Possbily an AD mob.

IIRC there were a lot of tartan stable belts kicking around at 40 too. Pipers and RPs wore them....

In the RSignals we have a lots of different stable belts now.... including lots of the former Yeomanrys Belts.
 
#15
doubleduck said:
goatbagthedruid said:
No, I believe it's a 4th Regt belt - not sure of the 'legality' as per Dress Regs though!

GBTD
It is a 4th belt and the legality of the belt i am led to believe is easy......the new 4th Regt stable belt was commisioned by the regiment in 2003. I believe that this decision to commision the new stable belt was made far higher up the CoC than regt level. The belt by the way comes from a years gone by when the regt was airbourne? and wore the same design belt then.

The Regt. was Airborne? Are you sure?
 
#16
TalaveraTom said:
LanceBombardEars said:
Cheers fellas,
I've looked at the link from the evil scotsman and that is the design I saw. I can remember years ago there was talk of Battery stable belts, but I think the idea never got off the ground.
I generally think its no bad thing for Regiments to have a bit of individual identity. When I joined 94 Loc Regt RA in 89 we were wearing cloth cap badges (non-Rupert type) because the CO decided we would.
Ref bty stable belts...At 2nd, each of the btys had their own belt. It was regimental policy. The standard RA belt was worn by HQ bty. It really gave each bty their own sense of identity, a great idea.
I sometimes wonder if 2nd didnlt take it to extremes. As a correctly dressed Officer of N Battery The Eagle Troop the only items which identofoed me as an offier in the British Army were the Gunner side hat and RA titles.
 
#17
civvygit said:
doubleduck said:
goatbagthedruid said:
No, I believe it's a 4th Regt belt - not sure of the 'legality' as per Dress Regs though!

GBTD
It is a 4th belt and the legality of the belt i am led to believe is easy......the new 4th Regt stable belt was commisioned by the regiment in 2003. I believe that this decision to commision the new stable belt was made far higher up the CoC than regt level. The belt by the way comes from a years gone by when the regt was airbourne? and wore the same design belt then.

The Regt. was Airborne? Are you sure?
Only one Bty (88?) back then was designated as airborne and in reality only mostly the tac parties.
 
#18
Pteranadon said:
TalaveraTom said:
LanceBombardEars said:
Cheers fellas,
I've looked at the link from the evil scotsman and that is the design I saw. I can remember years ago there was talk of Battery stable belts, but I think the idea never got off the ground.
I generally think its no bad thing for Regiments to have a bit of individual identity. When I joined 94 Loc Regt RA in 89 we were wearing cloth cap badges (non-Rupert type) because the CO decided we would.
Ref bty stable belts...At 2nd, each of the btys had their own belt. It was regimental policy. The standard RA belt was worn by HQ bty. It really gave each bty their own sense of identity, a great idea.
I sometimes wonder if 2nd didnlt take it to extremes. As a correctly dressed Officer of N Battery The Eagle Troop the only items which identofoed me as an offier in the British Army were the Gunner side hat and RA titles.
Pteranadon...Is your computer dyslexic?
Not sure what your point is? Are you saying that you didn't wear the Eagles bty belt, whilst in the bty? What has being an officer got to do with wearing a bty belt, even they had to wear them? Correct me if i'm wrong but i seem to remember that the

Eagles belt was dark Blue and Purple with thin Red lines and Gold band.

46 bty's.. Was Light Blue with Red,White and Black banding.

Nery's was Red with 2 Blue and 1 yellow band.

Rockets was Royal blue With Yellow banding as per colours of the Swedish Flag.

The purpose of the belts was to encourage an individualism and identity within the regiment, it worked and made 2nd a great regiment to be in. :wink:

P.S. The CO'S driver wore a side hat and Blue jumper, everyone in the regiment wore titles. Your point is still lost on me though..Extremes :?
 
#19
Back to the future. In the 1960s battery stable belts were all the go. By the 1970s they had disappeared, presumably because the RA Dress Committee finally worked out they were a bit of nonsense. Still, what goes around comes around.
 
#20
Petardier said:
Back to the future. In the 1960s battery stable belts were all the go. By the 1970s they had disappeared, presumably because the RA Dress Committee finally worked out they were a bit of nonsense. Still, what goes around comes around.
Petardier,
It's not nonsense, if it matters to the individuals who wear them. Not every bty had them. Those that didn't, wore those clippy Green plastic ones...No fun at all :wink:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads