STAB wanting to go regular in a few months, internal fixation 2 months ago.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by alex965, Jul 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

Broken elbow with internal fixation 2 months ago. Currently undergoing physio to get range of motion back but been told it's more than likely I'll never be able to truly straighten the arm fully again. Been told that apart from that it's expected that within 2/3 months the joint will have got back to full strength and it apart from restricted motion there will be no lasting damage and I'll be able to do whatever I want, he even said I'll be able to box again. I know in the ta medical they specifically tested for range of motion in the arms, but that was before the break, is not being able to fully straighten my arm going to be a bar to entry in the regs? I know it's probably a stupid question but just wondering if anyone knows anyone who is/was in a similar situation.

Also, I have looked on the mod website and for medical conditions it says nothing about range of motion or upper limb fractures. It did say that if you had a lower limb fracture with internal fixation you have to wait 12 months from the time of the op before you can get in, seeing as it says nothing about upper limbs I'm assuming for arms there is no specific limit, just as long as it is fully recovered? Cheers.

2. hey mate, im in a similar situation,

im wanting to join TA next year but have two small metal plates in my left hand.

not sure if it will prohibit me to join or not.
  3. Well I was in recruit training with a guy who had metal plates in his forearm and he didn't seem to have any issues. If you talk to a recruiter (which is what I'm going to do shortly about my issue) they should be able to set you straight on whether you'll be able to get in or not. Good luck buddy
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if you try and join up proper then it might hinder your chances, doing an S type might be doable then consolidate it once in.

plates in the hand would depend on the MO doing the medical, the role you applied for and the desperation of the unit.
  5. Not being able to Straighten your arm marching in the Regs will be a problem...fine in the Reserve Forces...occupational hazard!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  6. I broke my radial head in 2004 when I was in the TA and never regained full motion. Joined the Regulars in 2006 and am still serving with no issues.

Don't worry about it. Unless your elbow is truly fucked, you'll be fine with a minor loss of range.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers for the replies guys, I'm just going to keep cracking on with the physio and hopefully I'll be alright.
  8. UKTAP, just a quick question. Do you find that not having the full range of motion makes the drill a bit difficult? Just curious as to how you get past standing to attention and marching which usually needs locked arms? I reckon I'll be alright when I get back in training as long as I've got my jacket or smock on. Might be a bit fecked if I have to do it in a t shirt :D At this stage I'm thankful I didn't join a guards regiment aha.
  9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Drill is frightfully important but I think you're in danger of confusing form over function. If a potential recruit passes the medical, completes training and passes their MATTs every year and is ready to deploy it doesn't matter a flying **** if they look like a bit odd on the parade square.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for the reply, that's cleared it up.