STAB Armourers course??

Discussion in 'REME' started by Ravers, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Does anyone know what this course entails or if it even exists? I'm an ex RN small arms and close range weapons maintainer and am now a civvy gunmaker/armourer. I joined the TA last year and was wondering if anyone knows if it possible to become a TA armourer or are they all regular REME positions?

Any info on this matter would be much appreciated.

Also feel free to pisstake etc. about my sordid past as a matelot, it is fully expected!

2. Don't know the in's and out's but there are definately TA Armourers.

3. Armourers course definetly exists. Get your PSI to look in the pink (trg courses issued from Tech Trg ASM at Trg wing CVHQ REME). At the moment there is only 1 course per year so get your name down asap.

4. Ravers

Nice one cheers for that fellas.

5. TA Armourer courses are 'normally' run three times a year - one each of class 3, 2 and 1.

Class 3 covers:

H&S, Rifle L85, LSW L86, Sniper L96.

Class 2 covers:

Field Cookers and Lighting, Documentation, GPMG L7, Pistol L9.

Class 1 covers:

Evaluation of Class 3 & 2 - practical assesments on L85, L96, L7 and L9, Duties of a Senior rmourer, OML 51mm mortar, OML 81mm mortar, C2A1 Sight and Lifting Equipment.

As a class 1 Armourer (V) however, you will still be unable to carry out XofO or certify overhead fire.

If you have previously been a regular armourer you may be exempt from some or all of these courses.

As always when dealling with TA courses the answer is:

Speak to your PSIs

6. Ravers

Cheers Nishka,

That is very helpful, it's been quite difficult getting info from my PSIs as they are all either RA, RHA or Gren Guards so aren't too clued up on REME courses! I'll look into getting on the next course.

7. I've just done my class 1 and had this argument with the instructors. They couldn't find where it said we couldn't X of O. Therefore, crack on fellas (assuming you've been deemed competent under AESP 0200-A-090-013 Sub Chapter 5-2 Para 30 :wink: ).

There's a wiki page on TA trades somewhere, I'll have a gander and dig it out. Happy to answer any questions on Armourer's courses.