St Patricks Day - White House guest list

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mistersoft, Mar 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see that a certain Mr Adams is now back in favour with the White House again. Ok he's relegated to the second row but will no doubt be talking to anybody called Kennedy if there are any left and will be briefing the Irish-Americans about his distinct lack of progress in the so-called democratic principle that he supposedly now supports.

It really grips my shite that he's even been invited as the St Patrick's Day celebrations usually mask a celebration of republicanism and sends the wrong message to the masses that claim Irish heritage. We all know where a large amount of the funds came from that supported IRA terrorism throughout the Troubles.

The irony of the celebrations is that St Patrick was born in Scotland and in England, if you believe the seperate reports. I have not been invited to the White House celebrations but then I wouldn't like the company and there's the important matter of rearranging my sock drawer.

2. IRA victims invited back to Washington

By Chris Thornton, Political Correspondent
    cthornton@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

11 March 2006
    VICTIMS of IRA violence are due to be centre stage again at the White House for next week's St Patrick's Day celebrations in Washington, it was confirmed last night.

The family of Robert McCartney, who was stabbed to death by IRA members last year, will meet President George W Bush for the second year in a row.

And this year they are due to be joined by the family of Joseph Rafferty, killed in a Dublin housing estate last April. His family believes his killer was a former IRA member and want Sinn Fein to help identify the killer.

The family of murdered Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane may also be greeted by the president at Friday's White House event - a meeting that would throw more American scrutiny on the Government's conditions for holding a collusion inquiry into his murder.

As well as the victims, Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams and other Northern Ireland leaders will return to the White House after being excluded last year.

However, Mr Adams has been told by the Americans that he will not be allowed to raise cash while in the US - a ban that began last year as the Bush administration put pressure on Sinn Fein to support the PSNI.

The restriction means Mr Adams will not be able to attend a Sinn Fein fundraising breakfast on Thursday, the day before White House event.

Catherine McCartney, one of Robert's sisters, said the family was surprised when US envoy Mitchell Reiss phoned last night and asked them back to the White House.

"We hadn't really been intending to go," she said. "We were there in November, but we decided to take the opportunity and inform the Americans about what's going on to see if they can apply any more pressure."

The McCartneys and Raffertys will meet Mr Bush as part of a small gathering after the official ceremony, when Taoiseach Bertie Ahern presents the President with a bowl of shamrock.

The families and the politicians will all attend the larger gathering, but the Northern Ireland political leaders will not be meeting Mr Bush privately.

Catherine McCartney said she "won't be deliberately avoiding Gerry Adams" during that first ceremony. The only people who can ultimately deliver justice in Robert's case are Sinn Fein and the IRA," she said.

"At the same time I don't like meeting people for the sake of it."

Pat Finucane's widow, Geraldine, will meet a number of Congressmen to explain her family's concerns about the Government's handling of the collusion inquiry into his murder.

The family has objected to legislation that gives Ministers greater secrecy powers.

An all-party motion in the Dail this week criticised the Government for its handling of the Finucane inquiry.

"I intend to build on this support in Europe on my visit to the USA and I am very pleased that the Irish Government is assisting me to do so by arranging meetings on Capitol Hill and a possible opportunity to meet with President Bush," Mrs Finucane said.

3. Cancel some of my last. There are some worthy guests there. Those that are prepared to stand up to ongoing republican terrorism. But still some scumbags going.

4. Paisley has declined I see. No surprise there then ;-)

5. St Patrick's Day 'turning into a week'
    A leading Irish politician has criticised the exodus of government ministers to celebrate St Patrick's Day across the globe at taxpayers' expense.
    Green Party leader Trevor Sargent said just two senior minister would remain in the country while their colleagues jet off to five continents.

There will be celebrations in many countries throughout the world on St Patrick's Day, this Friday 17 March.

However, Mr Sargent said he could not understand why the Dail, the Irish Parliament, would be in recess for an entire week.

"People will be bemused that everyone else seems to have a St Patrick's Day, but the Dail has given itself a St Patrick's week," he told BBC News.

"The scale of it means that we are left with the minister for defence and the minister for enterprise, trade and employment the only two cabinet ministers staying in Ireland."

He added: "There are more serious questions being asked about the Dail going into recess - that is completely inexplicable to most people."

The Dublin TD said a number of other parliamentary members would be heading to see racing at Cheltenham as well.

In a statement issued last week, the Irish government said 29 members of its administration were travelling to 22 countries on five continents.

They would be promoting trade and cultural links in 35 cities, it said.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is due in Washington to meet President Bush at the White House along with four other government ministers.

"The special opportunity, unique to Ireland, that the occasion provides for direct and detailed dialogue with the president of the US and his administration, and also key players on Capitol Hill, is exceptionally valued by the government," said the statement.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/europe/4800760.stm

Published: 2006/03/13 09:30:13 GMT

© BBC MMVI

I can't find Ian Paisley's plans for St Patrick's Day. Maybe he'll just stay at home with a good book or maybe the good book.

6. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4818940.stm

I see a good time was had by one and all. Adams must have upset the Americans badly as even Kennedy has snubbed him and that bastrad has been a republican since the midwife threw away the wrong bit at the birth. Considering another tradition, I wonder why he's still so healthy, sort of bucks the trend a bit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4814656.stm

An excellent report that tells you what they HOPE will happen, would have said more but crystal ball obviously became cloudy.

http://www.utvlive.com/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=71536&pt=n

And one that tells you what DID happen, well almost. Still doesn't tell you if it actually crossed the divide and who played the part of the snake as Adams is being snubbed in Washington.

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

From Yahoo news - copyright the Press Association

Gerry Adams Detained at US Airport

What a shame - why would anyone want to put Sait Gerry Adam's name on a Terror List? :x Congressman Brian Higgins sounds like he should be on a terror list himself.

8. WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams was delayed at a Washington-area airport on Friday for a secondary security screening, a Homeland Security Department official said.

Adams had been scheduled to fly from Washington's Reagan National Airport to Buffalo, New York, for St. Patrick's Day appearances with Democratic Rep. Brian Higgins of New York but was unable to make the trip because of the airport delay, said Teresa

Kennedy, a spokeswoman for the congressman.
    Earlier on Friday, Adams, along with Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern and other Irish leaders attended a meeting at the White House with President George W. Bush.

A Homeland Security official declined to comment when asked if Adams' name had appeared on a terror watch list. Sinn Fein is a political ally of the IRA.

"There are privacy restrictions that preclude us from talking about individuals on no-fly lists," the official said.

In a statement, Higgins said Adams' name indeed appeared on a terror watch list.

"This is a man who has dedicated the past 25 years of his life to promoting peace and the unification of the 32 counties of Ireland into one united republic," Higgins said. "That his name would appear in this untoward manner and that appearance, in the end, ruined his ability to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in Buffalo is sad and unfortunate when one considers Gerry Adams' leadership in the decommissioning of the IRA's weapons and his commitment to the Good Friday agreements."

The Homeland Security official told Reuters that as Adams "was travelling to Buffalo, he was routinely going through (standard security screening) and he had a very thorough secondary screening.

"He was never arrested and he was never detained from the department's perspective," said the Homeland Security official, who declined to be named.

The official declined to explain why Adams underwent the secondary screening.

Quite agree a certain Higgins should be on a list, I'm sure his name is being passed on as we speak.

9. :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh my lord, I think I just shat myself laughing...

I hope the "very thorough secondary screening" involved the use of latex gloves!

10. When St Patrick banished all the snakes from Ireland you now know where they went to. US Congressman take note, Mr 'iggins has a serious problem with what is right and wrong and I hope him and Adams celebrated the day IN a buffalo, it can be arranged.

11. Not sure which thought is more satisfying:

A) Adams is on the spam terrorist watch list

B) US Customs and Immigration Enforcement is so inept that they wait until after someone on the watchlist has been to have lunch with POTUS before detaining him. Good work fellas. This is the funniest thing you've done since you turned back a jet because the guy who wrote a song called "Peace Train" was on board.

12. Still as long as it didn't ruin Gerry's day. Morning has broken but you're not fcuking going anywhere Gerry.

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If Saint Gerry is on the Terror Watch List - and considering we are so closely aligned with the good old US of A, does that mean he can't get back into this country? I fecking hope so.