St. Kilda

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by cnorm, Jun 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello anyone?

I'm currently doing a writing project about St. Kilda and have heard on the grapevine that the island was used to send 'naughty' soldiers to...however, I can find no information on this on the internet. I wondered if anyone has any info on this that might help me. If so, it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

2. Define naughty. Do you mean in such a way that St Trinians style girls punished them? Or naughty as in they beat seven shades of sh1t out of a granny?

3. Are you perchance thinking of St Kilda suburb of Melbourne, Oz:

4. I was based at HQ Scotland and used to task the RCT vessels to resupply the RA Range at Benbecula and the tracking station at St Kilda. This involved a number of visits to St Kilda.
    RA staff were rotated there from the range HQ at Benbecula.
    I do not know if any personnel were sent there as a punishment but suspect there may have been a few sent there, or kept there longer than they were supposed to.
    It is a beautiful place 48 nautical miles west of South Uist and well looked after by the National Trust. The original settlement was intact including the puffins and a peculiar breed of sheep were in abundance. There was also the wreckage of a WW2 plane still speadout on the side of one of the steep cliff areas.
    Although isolated the detachment used to come up with all sots to pass the time.
    During one of my visits there were a number of photographs on display of a spoof wedding in the settlement church, between a couple of the St Kilda detachment, with the rest acting as the vicar, ushers, best man etc. Very wierd!!!! All dressed for the part!
    I also remember reading a signal regarding an incident where a detachment member was involved in an accident from the resupply by air, carried out during winter months or when scheduled resupply could not be carried out due to weather etc.
    Reason for accident - "Hit by flying frozen chicken"
    Apparently the box being dropped from the resupply aircraft burst open and a chicken broke loose and hit one of the guys on the ground shattering his collar bone I think.

5. Iused to work on the radar site on North Uist, on a clear day you could see Kilde quite clearly, looked like God had dropped a lump of rock in the sea by mistake.

Of course there was only one clear day a year .........

6. I used to be on board the Arakan, which was one of the 2 landing craft that moved supplies from mainland to ST Kilda.

Never realised it was a "punishment" posting - I thought that died out in Australia!

Beautiful island, and how hard the inhabitants must have been to survive in such a hostile environment.

7. Back in the dark days of my youth, I was one of the "duty" radar operators dispatched at regular intervals out to St Kilda. On arrival, either by the aforementioned Arakan (Jerrycan), or by helicopter from Benbecula Airport, you were told to report to the BSM St Kilda and cash a cheque. Kilda had its own currency which were washers which you could exchange for drinks in the Puff Inn (Geddit?). As well as the transient members, there were a group of RE personnel who went under the colective title of the KGB - Kilda Generating Board. For some it was a punishment posting, others volunteered. In addition a member of RCT Maritime a chef and a couple of R SIGS blokes were there as were the civvies from SERCO.

Bar diving, cleat parties, Nelly the sheep (who ate lamb and mustard sandwiches), lightning risks, (even on a sunny day), the steepest S Bends in Europe, it was bloody marvellous!