St Georges Day

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Tastytoggle, Feb 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Righto folks, I know we have some stunningly imaginative characters in our ranks, so I'm asking for your help. I want to conjure up a St George's day meal and fun finger buffet. I need to cater for veggies and non red meat eaters, so I'm looking down the steak, chicken breast and mushroom something or other route with rich dragon blood sauces? For the buffet, I was thinking lychees stuffed with seedless black grapes (dragon's eye balls) and pork scratching (roasted dragon scales). There must be loads more ideas. Please share them if you have any. Cheers!
  2. See if you can get some Dragon Fruit from an exotic fruit supplier - you'll see why if you can get one or two. They are about the size of a small grapefruit and will set the scene very well.

Dragons breath sauce is good too - just crush a chilli in some tomato sauce and add a squeeze of lemon and garlic to taste, et voilla. Can be used as a marinade too.
    Dragons tails - BBQ some squid tentacles brushed with garlic and herb oil.

Dragon snot - Sprite or 7-Up plus a scoop lime sherbet. Directions: put sherbert in a glass and pour on sprite or 7-Up. Serve with a spoon.
  3. Cheers mucker. I like it!
  4. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

TT - Rushing out the door - but I will be back tonight. I have the menu you need:

Think about lances (skewering dragons), think about armour on St.George (strong batter) and you are on the right lines.

Don't forget to get some good english beer in as well.
  5. Absolutely! look forward to your post. Cheers
  6. mysteron

OK - just got in so whilst everything is firing up:

1. Salmon with Cucumber "Scales" on a horseradish butter & brioche.

Obviously, make a creamy horseradish sauce with the butter and smoothly spread onto some lightly toasted brioche, salmon on top and make some dragon scales from the cucumber to go on top. Olive oil drizzle. Done.

2. Dragons Breath Pork Belly.
    Buy some really nice belly pork (£3.81 was the last cut I bought - makes 2 meals). Cure in Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Star Anise and Cloves - mixed together then rubbed onto the meat - for 8 hours (overnight).
    Wash the excess off the meat.
    Then with a rough chopped mirrepoix - that is leeks, carrots, onions and celery (Escoffier) - place with the meat into a deep roasting pan. Cover in Chicken stock, making sure the meat is submerged fully, and braise in the oven at 110 degrees for about 6 hours, checking regularly to ensure the meat remains submersed.
    Remove cut in half and lay on half onto a plate with another on top and add a weight to press the belly flat. If you want to do the dish another time, this will last safely in the fridge for 3 days.
    With the other half, trim the skin off and retain and reserve the meat for another canapé. Once required, cut the belly pork into thin portion sizes, lightly pat the skin side with oil and fry skin side down in a pan until the skin is golden. Then finish by placing the pan in the oven at maximum whack for about 8 - 10 mins until the meat is thoroughly heated through.
    With the other slice of skin score into strips the same size as the portions and sprinkle plenty of salt on. Bake in a hot oven until the crackling is formed.
    Put it all together with the pork meat on the bottom with a layer of smoky BBQ (hot piquant chilli added) sauce and the crackling on top. (i.e. Dragon breathed on St.George.

3. Lances of Dragon Meat. Basic Kebab skewers of Monkfish, Peppers and Red Onion. Long Skewers with a decorative bit to make it look like a lance (use foil to protect from heat). Equal portion size of monkfish, pepper and red onion, with a nice drizzle of chilli & rosemary oil (you make that by adding dried chillies and rosemary sprigs into oil a week before).

4. Dragon Eyes (Sweet) - These are little truffley bonbons made by mixing up cold Christmas pudding or mixed fruit pudding, liquor, syrup and melted chocolate and an ooze of golden syrup before compacting it and rolling them into small balls, then melting white chocolate over them and arranging small pieces of red and green glacé cherries on top to make them look angry eyes.
    The hard part –it is canapés so what do you expect- - is dripping over the melted white chocolate and snipping the cherries and arranging them to look like angry eye.
    125g best-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
    350g leftover, or freshly cooked and cooled, Christmas pudding
    60ml sherry
    2 x 15ml tablespoons golden syrup
    100g white chocolate, finely chopped
    6 red glacé cherries
    6 green glacé cherries, or 6 short lengths angelica

5. Angels on Horseback – call ‘em St George on Horseback

Streaky bacon rashers 10
    Bread 5 slices
    Butter 40 g
    Oysters 20
    Cayenne pepper

1. Cut the rashers of bacon in half and wrap a piece
    around each oyster.
    2. Place on skewers and cook under a hot grill.
    3. Toast the bread, spread with butter and cut into
    croutons 50 mm x 40 mm.
    4. Place 2 of the oysters on each crouton.
    5. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and serve on a doily
    covered dish.

6. Veggies – filthy people. CHEESE FRITTERS

Water 125 ml
    Flour 75 g
    Margarine 50 g
    Eggs 3
    Cheese (grated) 75 g
    Parmesan cheese 15 g

1. Place the water and margarine together in a saucepan
    and bring to the boil.
    2. Add the flour and stir vigorously over the heat until the
    mixture leaves the sides of the pan clear.
    3. Withdraw the pan from the heat and allow the mixture
    to cool slightly.
    4. Mix the eggs together and gradually add to the mixture
    in the saucepan until the mixture is smooth.
    5. Add the cheese and mix thoroughly.
    6. Using 2 dessertspoons dipped in oil, mould the mixture
    into even sized pieces and place them on oiled strips of
    greaseproof paper.
    7. Fry them in hot deep fat to a golden colour. They will
    float when cooked.
    8. Drain thoroughly. Serve on a doily covered dish
    sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

7. Baked Potato Skins – how many variations do you want?? Suggest a Sour Cream and Spring Onion to counter the hot stuff elsewhere.

Enough to go on?

Remember, this is buffet food and as such, will always be a pain in the arrse to make. You will need alcohol.

Phew - so do I now!! Let me know how you do.
  7. mysteron

So, I sat down for dinner and continued to think about this menu. I realised that we were missing a few things:

1. Individual Toad in the Holes.
    Chipolatas – parbaked (you can use Glamorgan veggie sausages for the nut munchers). Julienne some carrots and parsnips as well as cutting some red onions into eighths. Roast the veg for 15 mins in the oven at 220 degrees (everything is 220C by the way, except for baking that’s 170C).
    Dripping (don’t tell the veggies) into the Yorkshire trays, melt it to a hot oil. Bangers & Veg in then cover with batter. 20 mins and Robert is your father’s brother.

2. Slices of Roast Beef with Wasabi Mayo on Potato Cakes. Do I need to spell this one out?

3. Carpaccio of venison with a Dragon’s Blood Beer glaze on skewers.

For the glaze, get a bottle of Dragon’s Blood Beer and a quarter as much of Balsamic Vinegar. Boil and reduce until you have about one fifth of the original liquid. Add a very small amount of cornflour and you should have a very intense syrupy glaze.

Get lots of fresh Rosemary, Thyme (both herbs finely chopped), Salt & Pepper. One clove of garlic.

Finely chop the garlic and then sprinkle some sea salt, rub the knife over to form a paste. Mix with olive oil and add the herbs and pepper.

Rub into the meat to form a Carpaccio herb crust.

Heat a pan up to as hot as it will go - smoking hot. Sear the meat quickly to seal the meat.

Serve on skewers in very thin slices with sliced (again paper thin) radishes and beets. Drizzle with the glaze at the last moment before service.

4. Victoria Sponge

200g caster sugar
    200g softened butter
    4 eggs , beaten
    200g self-raising flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp milk
    100g butter , softened
    140g icing sugar , sifted
    drop vanilla extract
    340g jar good-quality strawberry jam
    icing sugar , to decorate

Heat oven to 170C Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper. In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
    Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon, then bake for about 25 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
    To make the filling, beat the butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in icing sugar. Beat in vanilla extract if you're using it. Spread the butter cream over the bottom of one of the sponges, top it with jam and sandwich the second sponge on top. Dust with a little icing sugar before serving.
    You can make this about 2 days before the event before it will go stale.

If you need anything else – give me a shout – but I think that covers it.
  8. Excellent M. Many thanks. That's a fantastic selection of ideas. I'm trying to garner ideas for a college wide celebration of the day with students taking on the foodstuffs, but I'm going to be trying a few of these with the family! And MS - cheers for the lead on the beer. Have to give it a try and mark it against the several fine independent breweries in my locale. :D
  9. Veggies for St George, surely not! :)
    and if you dont want oysters in your "angels on horseback" try scallops! :D