St. Georges Day - whos English

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Negligent-Discharge, Apr 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

A while back in the "How Bone Is Yer Missus?" thread I wrote about a conversation I had with The Scarey One about us Brits - Romans spilled seed, Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, Normans, Hugenots etc. etc. So what is a TRUE Englishman?

My ex-mate Paul - ex 'cos he claimed he'd been in 2 Para and couldn't remember his number (turns out he once helped at a reception in Aldershot) - loved to say "100% f*cking English Bulldog and praahhhd of it!"... turns out his Mum was a Cheese Munching Surrender Monkey.

Anyway, happy St. George's Day... even though he was ([/i]sicthat Saint George was born to a Christian noble family in Lydda, Palestine during the late third century between about 275 AD and 285 AD, and he died in Nicomedia.[12][13] His father, Gerontius, was a Roman army official from Cappadocia and his mother was from Palestine.

So Gents., grab a brew and discuss. :soldier:

2. English is a state of mind. I knew a black kid that considered himself white as he'd gone to a middle class boarding school with all white kids, I've known white guys with dreadlocks (ginger at that...) who think they're rastas. I don't think this is walting if you believe it. I know I've got French and Dutch roots if you go back far enough (and that's just what we know of) but I consider myself English.

3. Bless!

4. St. George's Day is just an excuse for supermarkets to cash in and chavs to fly w@nk flags from windows, One tool I work with had four of the things flying from his car, he must be more engrish than me!

5. ND

A bit wierd to see it's a Sweaty like yourself asking the question, but great that the subject has come up on such an auspicious day. We are all aware the St George wasn't actually English, similar to the fact that St Andrew wasn't really Scottish -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Andrew

but let's not allow that get in the way of any old excuse to have a couple of brews and pontificate about the who/what actually counts as an Englishman.

6. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I even bought The Scarey One a bottle of Denbie's wine from Dorking, Surrey for her. Natch, I sampled it first at the vinyard... top wine. Worth a visit if yer in Dorking.

7. Hope you're using the wine to wash down some traditional English fare, yorshire puds etc?

As mentioned on another thread, I unfortunately am not in the position to imbibe any alcoholic beverages at the present moment, so could I ask you to drink on my behalf?

Thanks!

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The clap is inconvenient but with modern drugs you should be back on the piss in no time.

I'm English beause I'm proud of being English. End of chat.

9. Lord knows what's in my DNA but I feel pretty English. I certainly don't speak anything else - except halting French and Serbo-Croat.

One way of defining true Englishness might be a blithe and blissful ignorance of something as silly as St George's Day? As for the chav flags on cars, I thought there was possibly an England footer match on... :oops:

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, thanks for that Bud.

Me - "Wheres that English flag I got at the last World Cup? The one that sticks on the car window"

Posh Bird - "I threw it out darling. We dont want the neigbours to think you are a builder"

Me - "Jesus fucking Christ"

11. Erm, I was born in England, had English parents, grand parents, great grand parents etc. Can't really be anything other than English, but I'm not modern day English as I'm not receiving any benefits whatsoever, nor ever have done. 8O

12. I believe you - I've heard pan handling is pretty lucrative these days :)
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

13. N.D. wrote;

A while back in the "How Bone Is Yer Missus?" thread I wrote about a conversation I had with The Scarey One about us Brits - Romans spilled seed, Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, Normans, Hugenots etc. etc. So what is a TRUE Englishman?

That, apparently, is bollox. There was an unoficial DNA test on students at Birmingham University (this is the proper university not the former Polytechnic known as The University of Birmingham) The students had got to be English, with English parents and grand parents. None of the students tested had any Scandanavian, German or Mediteranian DNA.

I will now fcuk off and have a smoke.

14. :lol:
    Very close my friend, but I used to pimp for my ex...earned enough to retire. Fifty a night at a £1 a head..soon mounts up. Plus a good business brain of course. :D

15. Who's English?

If you are you just know......

Odo