ST. GEORGE!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DozyBint, Mar 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is a chance the public can make St. George's Day a public holiday

Click on the link below to vote. The site needs at least 30,000 votes
    for the government to take it seriously and give us another holiday,
    and I know you are up for that!!!!!

Pass the address on to whoever you can!!

www.stgeorgesday.com/voting.asp

The History

St. George is the patron saint of England. His emblem and ours, a red cross on a white background, is the flag of England. It was adopted by Richard The Lionheart and brought to England in the 12th century. The king's soldiers wore it on their tunics to avoid confusion in battle.

St. George's Day is on April 23rd, so, in a sense, this is England's National Day.

Winston Churchill wrote "There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is ENGLAND."

2. 30,000 votes?
    According to the website over 350,000 people have voted and 97% said yes please.
    Done deal, shurely?

3. Doesn't matter - the more people that vote the more idea they'll get that it's important!

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Winkers locked us out of voting as our IP had already voted.

5. The whole St George think is a fine idea as far as a focus for patriotism goes but we actually know virtually nothing about him. He certainly wasnt a brit and his whole history is a classic of spin

You should also be careful of BNP links to this kind of patriotic tub thumping

http://www.britannia.com/history/stgeorge.html

6. The biggest problem with nominating St George's Day as a public holiday is that it is at the wrong time of year.

With two May bank holidays, plus Easter somewhere between March and May, we don't need another spring B/H

Having one in October or early November (Guy Fawkes Day anyone) would be more appropriate.

Furthermore, unless the actual day was celebrated (rather than moved to the nearest Monday) it would lose it's significance... just as May Day is just another bank holiday, as it isn't celebrated on May 1st

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

May Day is just another bank holiday, as it isn't celebrated on May 1st
    In padstow it is unless its a Sunday!

8. Why has the registrant gone to some length to avoid being identified?

As Sticky says , done deal.

9. Good Lord! A simple post about getting a National Day recognised has suddenly become a conspiracy theory. Anything to do with nationalism is going to attract psychos, but it also attracts normal patriotic folk... As someone sitting here with St. George flags painted on her nails (done for the HK 7s to go with the rest of my 'England' gear) I'm a patriot & would like to celebrate a National Day for England instead of being pressed into celebrating the Irish National Day.

Edited for typo caused by loss of patience

10. If the last 50 years hadn't been dominated by angst-filled and guilt-ridden leftists trying to denigrate anything that smacks of 'Englishness', the Loony-Right would never have got their grubby hands on either St George or the Union flag. It's high time the Englishman in the street wore his flag casually and happily. I know I do.

As for St George not being English, so what? He was adopted as representing certain positive values that reflect the English character. Considering England has never produced (as far as I know) any saints, how are we supposed to adopt a patron saint otherwise?

11. Don't really care as:

1) I'm a jock!

2) Eldest daughter is getting married that day so I'm getting bladdered anyway!

12. I'm all for it Dozy, I get fed up of watching the English make a big fuss about St Patricks day, and then completely ignoring St George. What exactly did St Patrick do anyway, apart from rid Ireland of snakes? St George aced a dragon with little more than a sharp pointy stick.
    So how do we intend to celebrate our Englishness? Real ale, roast beef and morris dancing are at the top of my list.

13. I'm so glad someone else sees it this way. All I want to do is have a day to celebrate being English! The Irish have their day, the Aussies & the Septics have theirs & no-one bats an eyelid, but the moment St. George is mentioned suddenly the BNP is brought into the equation. :evil:

Yes to the ale & beef... 8) Re Morris dancing, whatever floats your boat sweetie! :lol:

14. Its a great opportunity to indulge in that greatest of all English pastimes, getting sh*t-faced and making a t*t of yourself. A couple of years ago, I was with some friends at a village fete, soaking up the sunshine, ambience and "Old Thumper" when we got talking to the morris dancers in the beer tent. Those boys can really drink, and after a few rounds, we managed to persuade them to let us have a go. Before you could say "in-bred carrot-crunching yokel" we were entertaining several hundred locals with our hybrid form of morris dancing which incorporated elements of the can-can, and that German, lederhosen, upside-down, legs round the waist ar*e slapping thing. Needless to say, we were not invited back. :oops: :D

15. OK, I've got the perfect solution...

We find a new patron saint, one that is British and has a birthday in October that we can celebrate with a new Bank Holiday...

Who'll vote for me? :D