SSRE

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by twony, Nov 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a thirty five year old Australian, studying in Europe. I'll be finishing my degree, next year, on exchange in Britain. I will possibly remain in Britain, for a while, after graduating, if I can find a job.

If I get a good enough job, I plan to join the TA. However, I have recently become aware of the British Army's SSRE programme. The opportunity to be deployed with in a year interests me greatly. I would be willing to devote a year of my life to that. I am getting on, a bit, and signing up for four, or however many, years with the regular Australian or British Army doesn't interest me anymore as I'm trying to construct a career for myself. Also, I doubt I'd get in to either due to my age.

After having done a bit of research, I have only found evidence of 4PARA participating in the SSRE scheme. I am quite fit. If I was eligible for 4PARA am confident that I can meet, or exceed, their fitness requirements given the 6+ months I'll have to train before I get to Britain. However, I'll be 36 be the time I get to Britain and 4PARA's website states you must be under 33 to join them. Does anyone know how flexible they are about this? By the way, I have no prior military experience.

Presumably, given the length of the RM's recruit and initial employment training they would be unable to participate in SSRE programme. However, I presume there would be some Regular Army Regiments participating through their TA battalions. Is this correct? If so, which regiments/ battalions? Would many people doing SSRE through non Parachute Regiment units of the army be getting deployed?