SSgt Oz Schmid - Obituary, The Daily Telegraph

Discussion in 'RLC' started by rmgbem, Nov 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A moving obituary

2. What a fantastic tribute in the DT. I sincerely hope that he is awarded a very significant Posthumous award to reflect his bravery and the work of the ATOs.

3. I read it in the paper yesterday and I must admit I was quite moved by it. Equally impressive were the column inches allocated by The Telegraph to an obituary for a SNCO when compared to all the officer obituaries that often adorn this page of the paper.

A fitting tribute.

4. To be absolutely fair, I am certain the Telegraph has previously covered the deaths of both soldiers and NCOs from various wars.

If you read the rest of yesterday's obituary page, the gentlemen concerned went on to have equally interesting civilian careers after their war service; they were, after all, in their late 80s and early 90s.

Unfortunately, Staff Sergeant Schmid will not have the opportunity to make his mark upon the civilian world. He has, however, made his mark upon the military world. The Telegraph has, correctly, acknowledged that and I hope, that in due course, Her Majesty's Government will do the same.

Litotes

5. Whilst not taking anything way from this extraordinary man and his outstanding bravery, it would have nice to have reported that he started his military career as a Chef and transferred into the trade. Many of the ATs started their career in other parts of the Army.

6. and you point is what?

7. Rambling post - no real point. Reading the obit was hard and I posted without really engaging brain.

8. I to was a re-trade to AT, infact Oz and me were on the same courses. Some military background prior to being given such resonsibility is good for soldiers.

9. You are forgiven - just take time to think of Oz and his family at around 1100hrs tomorrow - his funeral.

10. I also was a re-thread on Oz's course, I have to admit being shocked when I was told. I've never really understood the expression "the world is a darker place", but I do now.
    Oz is a great loss to the world and I am deeply saddened by his death, he was a gret soldier and friend. He had a knack of always looking on the bright side of everything.
    Stand down Oz, you've done your bit fella.
    My thoughts are with his family at their time of loss.