SSD in PS4 Pro

I am seriously considering swapping the standard HDD in my PS4 Pro for a 1TB SSD now the prices are a bit more reasonable (£107 for a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB).

My questions are thus:

1. It looks straight forward to actually replace - just a couple of screws, and re-installing the OS from a flash drive - is this the reality?

2. Are loading time differences really that noticeable? I have just started on Days Gone, and it seems to take an age to load - and I'm getting impatient in my old age!!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

You Tube is your bible on this if it's been done.
Google will help but step by step guide will be on YouTube.
Crack on and report back how it goes.

I used this method recently when putting in a SSD in to my Laptop.
The step by step videos was better than Google as it shows the difficult bits

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I am seriously considering swapping the standard HDD in my PS4 Pro for a 1TB SSD now the prices are a bit more reasonable (£107 for a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB).

My questions are thus:

1. It looks straight forward to actually replace - just a couple of screws, and re-installing the OS from a flash drive - is this the reality?

2. Are loading time differences really that noticeable? I have just started on Days Gone, and it seems to take an age to load - and I'm getting impatient in my old age!!

Any advice would be gratefully received.
I understand it's fairly straightforward.

Formatting it is the chore.

A few years ago, I replaced the HDD in my PC and I can tell you - it is definitely worth it. I currently have 9TB of storage in my PC, but only my system drive is SSD.

ETA: You've also chosen a great SSD. Samsung Evo 860s are fine SSDs.

I have no experience of games consoles. However, I have heard that SSDs, despite their other advantages in not being mechanical (speed etc.), they don't take too kindly to an excessive amount of read/write ('write' more especially, I seem to recall) activity and that it knocks the life out of them.

The technology may have changed, however. I'm sure somebody will be along in a minute to shoot me down in flames.

I've got a Seagate 2TB SSHD I got off Amazon in my PS4 Pro, its a good buy at £85.

Its a Hybrid Drive as my sister works in IT and said they offer the best between speed and reliability so not a full SSD but it gives 1.77 TB usable for games and it is noticeably quicker on games like Destiny 2 where I regularly land in a strike five to ten seconds before my team mates and the long loading screen to the tower is about 30% quicker. Its also made a big difference on games like Red Dead 2 and God of War that work the machine really hard. You wont see that improvement right away, it takes a week or so to bed in though. Fitting it is a breeze, just take out the regular drive, slot in the new one and after securing the panel just reinstall the OS and you're ready to download your games again. You will need to get the special screwdriver for undoing the star shaped screws that secure the cover though, its a T8H you're looking for if I remember right.

Link to the latest OS .. PS4 .. sorry for preaching if you know this already but if you aren't familiar with the procedure then once you get it swapped over start the PS4 in Safe Mode. Just hold down the power button for about seven seconds, you'll hear it beep, and then you are good to re-install the OS.

And a decent video guide on how to swap the drives over ..

I've got a Seagate 2TB SSHD I got off Amazon in my PS4 Pro, its a good buy at £85.

Its a Hybrid Drive as my sister works in IT and said they offer the best between speed and reliability so not a full SSD but it gives 1.77 TB usable for games and it is noticeably quicker on games like Destiny 2 where I regularly land in a strike five to ten seconds before my team mates and the long loading screen to the tower is about 30% quicker. Its also made a big difference on games like Red Dead 2 and God of War that work the machine really hard. You wont see that improvement right away, it takes a week or so to bed in though. Fitting it is a breeze, just take out the regular drive, slot in the new one and after securing the panel just reinstall the OS and you're ready to download your games again. You will need to get the special screwdriver for undoing the star shaped screws that secure the cover though, its a T8H you're looking for if I remember right.

Link to the latest OS .. PS4 .. sorry for preaching if you know this already but if you aren't familiar with the procedure then once you get it swapped over start the PS4 in Safe Mode. Just hold down the power button for about seven seconds, you'll hear it beep, and then you are good to re-install the OS.

And a decent video guide on how to swap the drives over ..

That’s brilliant mate, cheers - just what I was after.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I have no experience of games consoles. However, I have heard that SSDs, despite their other advantages in not being mechanical (speed etc.), they don't take too kindly to an excessive amount of read/write ('write' more especially, I seem to recall) activity and that it knocks the life out of them.

The technology may have changed, however. I'm sure somebody will be along in a minute to shoot me down in flames.
You are right, but with modern drives it’s much less of a problem. They say that you’d need to have constant writing for 10 years before you get near the malfunction danger zone. There’s a Samsung Evo 860 which is supposed to last 340 years, but most people will upgrade before then

I think it depends mostly on the brand, and the position of the individual SSD in the brand's portfolio. If it's on the lower end of that spectrum, you could probably compare the life of the drive to that of a mayfly. Higher up on the spectrum and it will be a lot higher. You're really better looking at the drive's MTBF, or Mean Time Before Failure, as they will tell you when the thing is slated to die, or at least give you a good idea.