SSAFA

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Group_Captain_Mandrake, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone had any experience of volunteering for SSAFA? If one was to turn up at a branch and offer a few hours a week what would be the result in terms of activity and atmosphere?

GCM

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It all depends where you live. Some Counties (Branches) are busier than others but all are rewarding.
    I've been with SSAFA 12 years & am a Divisional Secretary so any questions, ask away.

3. I bow to Old Baldy up there ^. I'm a new kid on the SSAFA block and have a full time job and have been doing it for just over a year now. They realise that when you apply you won't be able to do as much as the retired chaps that do it but they will be more than welcome you. I usually get to do about 6 hours per week for them.

4. Cool. I suspect those hours would be about my max also. What sort of thing do they need help with?

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

And if you can't spare hours regularly, you can always help with fundraising events.

(After Grays Lane, and led astray by oldbaldy, I volunteered, have just completed the Caseworkers Course and going on my first Visit this afternoon, and am involved in running a fundraising dinner in September).

6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

No set hours. Jack Daniels works so has to organise SSAFA round that.
    One of my near neighbours works 4 days on 4 off & organises SSAFA round that.
    Everyone has there own amount of time they can give.
    As for what you can do. Speak to you local branch

SSAFA Branch Network

Or PM me with where you live & I'll give you the details, then I can lead you astray like Grownup_Rafbrat :wink:

7. Well done GR! Another one in the SSAFA fold. Did you meet that madman HB at your welcome dinner?

8. Highly recommended.

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

The NAAFI manager? :wink:

10. Ha Ha! I wondered what they were on about back in Aldershot when they mentioned that and then I found out!

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

No, but I met HydraJoe on my caseworkers' course.

And 'Brave' Sir Robin Ross at the NAFAS Floral Luncheon (raising funds for SSAFA) on Wednesday.

Now I have to put it all to the test, as I have been given my first 'solo' case. Wish me luck. And the client!

12. Bless his little beard!

13. Me and Mrs BBB have fostered in germany for the SSAFA for a few years now and there are not many of us. Whilst I appreciate that you might not be able to do this it shows how versitile SSAFA are