SSAFA support with funeral costs

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Spanish_Dave, Jul 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Hi all, has anybody had any recent dealings with SSAFA supporting a family with paying for funeral costs, bottom line is they are skint and the chap has had a quick flash to bang time of diagnosed terminal cancer and given 3 months plus to dying a week later.

2. Dealing with a case at the moment, SSAFA has no money, we act as a go between with the families and service charities, first port of call is his regiment then, ABF etc. Point to note Royal Engineers will not support appeal for funeral expenses, information on Turn2us webpage regarding assistance from Department of Work and Pensions.

3. I would try his Regimental Association first. Young lad I know died recently and the Regimental Association covered all the costs for his funeral. Despite the fact that he had been kicked out for being a numpty more than 10 years ago and wasn't a member of the association.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Thank you, he was RAOC

5. I hope you have more success than my wife's cousins did after her uncle died. No help or support whatsoever.

6. Im pretty sure you are giving a form by the undertakers which helps pay for some of the costs. It's not much but you have bugger all it all good and could help to pay for funeral costs.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. PM OldBaldy or JackDaniels.

8. Hello Spanish Dave, this is Old Rat.

Top tips.

1) There is a £2K death grant provided by HMG. Funeral Directors will advise you, in the meanwhile Google " Death Grant"
    2) Pace Tara, REA provided assistance to a person of my acquaintance very recently.
    3) Funerals can be pricey things, and emotions can incur expenditure that the bank cannot meet. Be advised.

Old Rat
    Out

9. Ratty, spoke personally with REA and was told if they were approached it would a token gesture only.

10. It might well be worth speaking to the local British Legion.

11. See PMs

12. Tara. "SSAFA has no money"
    I give SSAFA lots of money?
    Please explain.

13. They use the money for admin stuff most probably as they do a lot of leg work.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

14. Hmmm

Doubtless, and well done and thank you, but compared with the unremitting calls upon the SSAFA purse....
    But I'm sure Tara will explain fully.

Old Rat
    Out