ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Featured SSAFA Report into the The New Front Line

Discussion in 'Transition & Veterans Research' started by oldbaldy, Jul 19, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

There was a piece on this on Five Live this morning.

It may have simply been the way the interview went but the argument seemed to be that those transferring from service life to civilian life in the course of their life choices/accidents (i.e. not because of operational trauma) need support and the country is failing to provide it. If that's the case, it's pretty feeble and it doesn't say much for the resilience of the individuals concerned.

Anyone who loses their job has a pretty catastrophic experience and changing careers generally involves serious personal upheaval whoever you are. By all means support the physically and mentally injured but I don't think it's right to play the services card all the time and ask for special treatment denied to the rest of society who go through similar experiences.

There's a lot of goodwill out there but the sort of bleating I heard on the radio this morning will have done nothing for the cause of those with a real need or for the reputation of service personnel.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We also have to remember the people we are working with. Often those affected will have come in to the Services either straight from school or the dole. They will have little if any, experience of looking after themselves and during their 3-4 years in the Service will have had everything done for them.

Suddenly they have lost the comfort blanket of army etc life and are in civvy street with as much experience and knowledge of looking after themselves as when they joined just a few years before!

None of this is an excuse as we all have ultimate responsibility for ourselves. No not an excuse, but certainly a reason.

• Like Like x 7
  4. jarrod248

jarrod248 LE Gallery Guru

None of those interviewed could recall being taught money management during their time in the Forces.

From the report, should people be taught this in the forces, are they taught it?
    I certainly was taught at school in maths and home economics.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Waste of time and money. The majority of squaddies manage just fine, bellends won't learn no matter what you tell them.
    The army isn't a substitute for the education sector.

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. jarrod248

Well that's what my thoughts were really. I was taught somethings at school but the majority nobody remembers or passes it in, things like buying a house, it's stressful but if you want a house...
    You don't have to be super brain to set direct debits up after you've been paid or call a company for help if you're behind with bills.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I would suspect that many of those that struggle were admin vortexes when in and there is no reason to expect any different when they leave. Not all, though, some will have other issues which means they struggle outside the services.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Reading the link it does appear that the majority of people would be thick as **** if they didn't join the army.
    I'm surprised s SSAFA took people at their word when they said they had PTSD. Almost as if they wanted to sensationalise the story a bit.

9. jarrod248

How many think the grass is greener, they get pop star wages if they leave, pop up on here and ask about joining again.
    I think times have changed where people were expected to fend for themselves now they expect the state to provide. We are now living with a government that once again expects people to fend for themselves, they'll have to get used to it.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Not with charities trying to justify their existence they won't.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jarrod248

People may then realise charities don't do everything they say they do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
  12. As a caseworker for both of the major service charities I have found that a considerable number of cases relate to employment on zero hour contracts as the services seem not to offer the skill set requirements to gain employment. Unemployment leads to matrimonial problems and single fit males have no chance of getting assistance from local authorities or housing associations.

Do you find hapless and the hopeless yes and they expect the charities to take over and organise their lives. Having the deepest sympathy for any ex. serviceman with PTSD there are quite a few who are playing the mental health card to extremes including one man who claimed his PTSD was caused by his sergeant shouting at him, he only served 31 days, I must admit to a sympathy shortfall on that case.

The basic problem is the army recruits from a sector of the population that may have not had a stable home life and not performed well in education and after leaving the structured military environment they do not prosper.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
  13. As SSAFA say at the link: "It is important to remember that most successfully make the transition to civilian life. They do not need support and will never have to call on a charity for help. However, for some the transition is a lot harder, and it is amongst this section of the community that SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity, does much of its work."

• Like Like x 5
  14. Joshua Slocum

Joshua Slocum LE Book Reviewer

I have worked alongside, and helped a few ex service personnel, however I think that the military really needs to wake up and change the way that they discharge personnel, perhaps a staged and graded system ?
    not all of them flounder, many adapt quite quickly and learn new tricks and often thrive in the new environment, but I really think that they should filter staff before leaving and look at their exact needs and guide them towards civi life
    one of the biggest problems I encountered was that upon leaving and joining a company, they expected the same loyalties and honesty from their co workers, and expected management to honour their promises
    I soon changed their way of thinking and gave them a healthy mistrust for the system they now worked in
    I still keep in touch with many of them
    I wrote a guide book and printed it out and handed it to them, at first many of them laughed, later on they realised that my non PC and fairly curt terms were indicative of the problem
    I was going to issue some on my last firm, but some HR peeps had a quick look and said NNNOOOOO

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2