SSAFA in the Midlands

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by General Melchett, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Mrs M and myself have contacted SSAFA in the midlands (Coventry and Warwick offices) to volunteer as local reps/case workers.

Both offices closed, in fact one had an answering machine saying back in 2 months, and despite SSAFA head office assuring us someone would be in touch asap from one of offices no one has as of yet. Head office was also shocked about the answering machine message.

So my point is that if I was actually in need of SSAFA's service in this area I'd not be impressed and quite frankly Mrs M and myself are reconsidering our offer of help.

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

When did you speak to SSAFA Central Office about this?

3. Wooohooo..hold your horses. Most of our staff up here are volunteers, the office can only be open one day a week because of staffing problems...don't just give up.

SSAFA needs all the volunteers we can get so pleaseplease reconsider your position.

I am sure this will be down to lack of resource so please keep trying, your help will be rewarding and beneficial for others.

4. Hi - So sorry about this - please phone me on 01752 290198 - it's a SSAFA number covering the SW & Wales - yes, Coventry is in the SW - bet you didn't know that!
    There are four of us that support the volunteer Branches throughout the UK and try to help when something like this happens - look forward to talking to you

5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Just had a sneaky look at the telephone list to see who you are. :D :D

6. Give us a clue! I can't make head nor tail of the Flagbook at the best of times!!

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

PM Sent.

8. General Melchett

Ah ha. So it takes a posting on here to get any reaction.......

Wasn't meaning to be harsh just frustration at "someone will be in touch asap" everytime we kept enquiring.

9. You're not the first and won't be the last to be frustrated. We do get a bit of grief now and then as people don't realise that we're volunteers and aren't there 24/7 unlike some charities. Some people work from home and some of us are lucky enough to have office space, it may seem slow at times and will definitely vary branch to branch but we get there eventually!

10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Offices only work in urban areas Jack. I would say I'm lucky I work from home, plus office hours do not exist as far as the client is concerned.
    Training on CMS for the branch takes place on my dining room table. :D

11. True, hence none of them get my mobile number anymore as I learnt to my cost!

12. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Likewise. Have never given mine out.
    Had a chap a few years ago who used to ring my SSAFA line at stupid O'clock and blow raspberries down the line.

13. Ah well, my number is out there now so I'm looking forward to the raspberries

14. General Melchett

All sorted now, thanks to an arrser in Germany sending a message back to blighty about the thread. Got there in the end. :)

15. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

& a few butts have been kicked. :D