SS Richard Montgomery - Floating Time Bomb

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by foxs_marine, Jun 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read recently in the Evening Standard that this Liberty ship sank off Southend in 1944, carrying bombs for the USAAF. It seems that the cargo is live & were the estimated 7,000 tons of ordnance to blow, over £1 billion of damage could be caused.
    I find it hard to credit that any skipper would sail the Atlantic in wartime with 7,000 tons of armed bombs in the holds , but I can't see how they could be at any risk of exploding if they are not armed.

Because I know very little about explosives, I would be grateful if someone who does could post a reply to enlighten me as to how the cargo was in a condition where it could explode when the ship sank, why it hasn't gone off already if it's live, whether it can be made safe & what would be the likely result if it did go off.

2. Hardly a floating time bomb...

The MCA web-site says this:
    "Whilst the risk of a major explosion is believed to be remote, it is considered prudent to monitor the condition of the wreck. As stated above, surveys are carried out by the Maritime & Coastguard Agency on a regular basis to ensure that any changes to the wreck, or its immediate environment, are discovered quickly. Although it is clear from the results of these surveys that the hull is subject to prevailing environmental conditions and is showing some evidence of deterioration, over the past ten years there has been little change and the wreck is considered to be in a stable condition. Some remedial work to trim the rigging etc from the masts (above the water line) was undertaken in October 1999 with the aim of reducing stress levels on the masts and derricks."

which seems to imply that this is no Hiroshima waiting to happen...
  3. Dear ******* God, not again.
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Or you could search ARRSE and find all the other threads on this dull subject. I think the end conclusion from proper bomb people was leave it well alone and everything will be fine. Poke it with a stick and don't come crying when it all goes wrong.

There was also some thing about it being linked to the Masons, WTC7, 9/11 and the moon landings.
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Bombs arent shipped already fuzed. USAAF armourers would have fitted the fuzes during preps for missions at Bomb dumps.
  6. It's actually about 1 and a half miles of Sheerness,on the Isle of Sheppey.
  7. So we are back to this again if it does go bang can we bill the yank's
  8. So our Lizard overlords would have you believe, its really an underwater Bond villian style base. Where the Lizard men breed in special tanks...... More Lithium Nurse? Why thank you.
  9. Oh forgot add: HOLE
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps we could get the D Mail to run an article to flush out any remaining people who have not yet heard of this rather celebrated wreck.

Osama Bin Laden was actually brought back to UK and is kept in a lead coffin in the tiller flat, next to Shergar. If you don't believe me, get yourself some scuba training and go look (you'll need a thermal cutting tool). But place a bond for £18 to cover the damage to Sheernasty if the dive goes wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I should have said that the thread title was borrowed from the Evening Standard article, not my own ravings. I was just interested in the story of the ship & wanted to know more about it.
    I don't subscribe to any way out theories & had no wish to be dull or repetitive, sorry to anyone I've bored.
  12. Curious as to how it could be a floating time bomb given that it's been on the bottom since 1944, a new definition of the word floating perhaps.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I don't think it is floating either...
  14. Let me google that for you
  15. I was going to say that but I think the OP was referring to those halcyon days when the SS Richard Montgomery was actually floating.

Apart from that I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about.

Did it sink?

Has it become unsunk and is a bit pissed off?

Does it harbour a grudge against Essex, Southend in particular?

There could be trouble ahead.