Sri Lanka

Riga

War Hero
Off to Sri Lanka for several weeks and have encountered first problem - their visa system is only 30 days - any advice on travel/visas?

Any advice on must sees - apart from the tourist stuff - old military forts and

Any food/spices to sample and finally,

WTF can I get a good beer and what's it called!?

Try Ceylon, it's much nicer.

gorillaguts981

Old-Salt
Only local brew I saw was Lion beer. Drank out of terra cotta mugs so the evaporating moisture from the pot cooled the beer. Curries as you'd expect served with short grain rice. Never fully clear your plate as they'll just keep bringing more. Arak is a liquor distilled from palm sap wine. Bottled brain damage if you overdo it. Colonial influence means you can get a decent breakfast at the better hotels. Me and a buddy hired a driver for 2 weeks to tour the island. He got free (basic) accommodation at the hotels and with local knowledge, saved us a fair bit. This was 1980-ish before the war and his total charge was 125 quid. Get a look round a tea plantation. Very informative. Stay laid back and go with it and you should enjoy it.

Off to Sri Lanka for several weeks and have encountered first problem - their visa system is only 30 days - any advice on travel/visas?

Any advice on must sees - apart from the tourist stuff - old military forts and

Any food/spices to sample and finally,

WTF can I get a good beer and what's it called!?
Who did you book with?
I tried to book after the terrorist attack earlier this year with TUI but they removed all holidays from their site.

Riga

War Hero
Who did you book with?
I tried to book after the terrorist attack earlier this year with TUI but they removed all holidays from their site.
Flying with... Aeroflot... ok ok ok, they're Russian cnuts... but, should be an adventure. Winging the accommodation by hiring a Vespa and travelling around... should be an adventure too.

I never knew Sri Lanka was known for it's scenery and cuisine.
Cough.
Every day is a school day...

If you've got time get a copy of 'Elephant Complex' by John Gimlette - I started reading it as my eldest was off out there on a youth project. It's certainly recommended as a good background to today's Sri Lanka.
If you have more time, find a copy of 'The Jungle Tide' by John Still (printed 1931) which was the essential book for those joining the colonial service. Thought it looked a bit dry and dated at first then couldn't put it down and finished it in 2 days.
Kandy up in the hills sounds good, elephant bothering and whale watching were highlights.
Got to be better than India by far - I've only passed through each but some friends have an estate which is listed as a good place to stay which is on my bucket list (PM for details).

Flying with... Aeroflot... ok ok ok, they're Russian cnuts... but, should be an adventure. Winging the accommodation by hiring a Vespa and travelling around... should be an adventure too.
Ah, well, shouldn't worry about the 30 day visa as you'll probably never make it there.

Actually, ref the visa, you can extend it up to 90 days in country at the Dept of Immigration in Colombo.
This can again be extended by another 90 days giving you a maximum stay of 180 days with no problems.

dick593

Clanker
Was there earlier this year the online visa worked well but immigration was a nightmare, 2 desks for 3 widebodys so get off the plane quick. If you are driving yourself look out for elephants in the road there are lots of them particularly near the game reserves at Wilpattu and Yala.
Galle Fort is worth a visit but think carefully about climbing Lion Rock as the ladders look a bit iffy, video on You Tube.
For eats street food was great try Rotti and egg hoppers.
Beware Chinese tourists unless they have been frightened off by the bangy things.
For beer I only found Lion which was cold and wet.
Lovely place, have a good trip mate

Now be fair. Each aircraft only crashes once.
Too true!

Fron Wiki - According to the Aircraft Crashes Record Office, 8,231 passengers have died in Aeroflot crashes, about five times more than any other airline (all of which were far smaller).

Lucky they don't fly 737 Max!

Riga

War Hero
Looking forward to Fort Railway Station and the trip to Kandy.

First holiday since 2006 so, should go really wrong, be eaten by crocs, ripped apart by tigers, but,
hey ho,
British Army spirit is go!

Looking forward to Fort Railway Station and the trip to Kandy.

First holiday since 2006 so, should go really wrong, be eaten by crocs, ripped apart by tigers, but,
hey ho,
British Army spirit is go!
Have fun. SL is a beautiful place...

Look out for a Toddy bar - there is one in Colomba , most are in the south wesr coast. Alcholoic drink derived from coconut. Quite refreshing.

Yala wild life park was a good stay but at night you couldn’t leave your chalet as the elephants wandered in for any spare food.

Latest Threads