Srebrenica - 10th anniversary

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Proximo, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has it really been 10 years?

A soundbite from the UN:

The story is here.

I understand that Mark Malloch Brown is also on his way to Srebrenica next week as well.

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but it sometimes seems that the UK are the only nation actually 'doing something' about crimes against humanity in the Balkans, irrespective of all these UN focus groups and do-gooding hand-wringing liberals moaning and weeping for the victims.
  2. i couldn't help feeling that if the British troops were in charge not the Dutch, the end result might have been different.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. As a matter of interest, I can't remember, WAS ANY action ever taken against the Dutch Contigent who were at Srebrenica?
  4. I think there was a enquiry /court martial dont remeber the result .At least one has tried/has commited sucide . They got shafted by the un stuck
    in a horrible situation .Brit forces might have gone down fighting but dont think they could have changed the situation.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. I was out there working with the Dutch Marines at the time. I remember watching on Sky as the Dutch Para CO (11 Bn?) drank champagne with the Serbs. The marines were appalled and it really caused a schism between them and the Army.

3 yrs later I served with the same para bn in Cyprus (they were attached to us). They had real psychological issues and were still undergoing heavy duty councelling- I think the Blue Berets brought it all back to them. They were put in an invidious position but they should have ballsed it out - it is unlikely that the Serbs would have wiped them out, but if they had...death before dishonour!

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Serb Corps Commander has been sentenced for 45 years and the deputy Brigade commander from Zvornik has also gone down for it. The Muslim commander Nasser Oric is also indited for War Crimes against the Serbs. He was the one who took hostage a recce party of 9/12L in 1993 and prevented them leaving the pocket when the Serbs were counterattacking the area in 1993. How they managed to get out was a miracle (3 out of 5 vehicles were destroyed in the process).
  7. it looked to me at the time the serbs rolled up and gave the dutch a way out.
    kind of hard to go down guns blazing when given the easy way out:(
  8. A good example as to why we should have Command and Control over UN types,when these situations arise
    (as they will again).The UN style of military command was catastrophic then,and Janvier is a fcuking disgrace!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Like Pension said......death before dishonour.
  10. I was in Bosnia at the time. What happened in Shrebriniza could well have happened to Gorazda. The RRW did disappear into the woods for a couple of days when the Serbs threatened to destroy the camp. A Lt role Inf Bn with Milan as their heaviest weapon are no match for a Bde of Serb military with Armour and Arty Support. These guys were 150 Kms from the nearest friendly forces. Not an easy situation, both for the Dutch or the Brits. We were lucky in that the Serbs realised after Shrebriniza that the world was not going to allow tham to do it again. Very sad but the boys were hung out to dry as were the rest of us under UN colours at the time. Fighting a war with all your limbs tied behind your back and a HQ (New York) totally divorsed from reality.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. At the time I was spending most of my life flying AWACS missions over Bosnia. I remember the period as exceptionally frustrating and regularly had to listen to ground forces requesting CAS, the CAS assets saying they could see the BSA tanks/vehicles/arty, but being unable to do anything because we couldn't get weapons release authority from the UN Secretary General himself. That request would often take hours to be actioned via troops/aircraft - AWACS/ABCCC - CAOC at Vicenzia - diplomats - UN HQ - Boutros Gali and back again.

I particularly remember one utterly sickening incident when some French UN peacekeepers ended up getting killed by the BSA despite the CAS assets (UK Jags and USMC FA-18Ds if I remember correctly) being able to see clearly what was going on. It ranks as probably the most appallingly frustrating moment of my career. Even heard one of the poor bastards get killed as he was talking to us.

Srebrenica was similar. More robust CAS ROE could possibly have overcome the fact that the BSA outgunned most of the UN ground forces. The summer of 95 I seem to remember was a very pleasant one and there were certainly plenty of nice targets out there. The results of Op DELIBERATE FORCE during Aug 95 showed the effect that aggressive CAS and AI could achieve against the Serbs.

Note to self: never let the UN dictate the ROE.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I was also in Bosnia at the time and well remember the requests for assistance from Sector Sarajevo - who had a number of Brits working there. We were 150 miles away in Central Bosnia and could only listen to events unfolding. The Bosnian Muslims blocked the roads and the first recce team sent by us into into Vares to assist the refugees was shot at and then detained by the Muslims and then - as I recall - PAKBAT! At the same time a BBC film crew lost it's kit and our media ops bloke his pistol.

And before everyone kicks off about the useless UN HQ's - do remember that Douglas Hurd's policy of appeasement (of the Sebs) dragged the British Army into a quagmire - one I do not wish to revisit.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. *Perhaps we could insert the phrase 'hopelessly incompetent but well-meaning' into this?

And let's not forget Owen's ridiculous scheming either...
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.