Squirrel Hunting

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Solon_of_Athens, Sep 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is one of those things that makes the British Army great - lunatic Young Officers:

Connaught Square Squirrel Hunt

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Surely a pseudonym. Sounds like one of the columnists in The Chap magazine...

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Easily googled, if you're bored. Stowe, class of 2003. Clearly a long line of eccentrics in the family, since they named him Merlin. Cav or Guards presumeably?

4. I assume you meant Inbreds?

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Inbreeding generates 12 toes and madness. True eccentricity requires that gift of genius tempered with lunacy. Solon's right - its this kind of behaviour that won us the Empire.

6. Indeed, men like these ordered the Charge of the Light Brigade, split the army at Isandhlwana, planned the Somme offensive, ordered troops to open fire on unarmed crowds at Amritsar- hang on a mo...

7. In his interview with The Daily Telegraph, young Merlin made it clear that he and his chums were attempting to make a serious political point. As a serving, commissioned, officer surely that places him in breach of the regulations regarding military personnel becoming involved in politics? Will he then be disciplined for making political statements and/or giving interviews to the press? That is assuming that he had neglected to obtain permission for either?

8. Should there be any unpleasantness, no doubt Daddy will have a quiet word with someone in the War Office who he was at Eton with. :D

9. ...and no doubt put down to 'high jinks' and therefore expected of a young subaltern....

10. FFS,

Half of you complain that no-one stands up for anything then with the next breath complain along some outmoded-whinging-proletarian-claptrap-cliched lines. For those of you who have missed this - we call this moral courage - to act in a way one knows is right without a thought for the consequences.

GAG

11. On the contrary, I love it when people stand up for the things that really matter in life. Frankly I'm not convinced that this qualifies. A commissioned officer in the British Army acting in an outmoded-whinging-patrician-claptrap-cliched manner in support of his right to kill small mammals invites ridicule.

12. It made me laugh when I read about it in this mornings Torygraph; I see we have now got to the point where vermin (squirrels) are regarded as wild life, according to the Metropolitan police. Now that really is a "FFS".

I say Hurrah for young Merlin.

13. I stand by my last post. This is not about hunting (of which I am in favour), this officer is bound by the same rules as is every other serving soldier. If he HAS broken them then he should expect to be held to account. Admittedly, its not the same as mounting a protest against out involvement in Iraq, but the rules are the same.

14. I'll let you into a secret...

... a young officer stands up for what he believes to be correct in a non-military environment. He is disciplined by the Army (dogmatically correct) and gets a slap. Choice 1 he leaves because the Army is no longer fun, Choice 2 he stays and when faced with an opportunity to stand up for what he believes in on behalf of his soldiers he chooses another path for fear of being disciplined again.

Has he failed the service test?
    Has he committed an offence?
    Is it really necessary to extinguish a spark of elan?

15. I feel comforted by the fact that our young, talented and gifted officers are spending their time and energy providing useful training and leisure activities for their men.

I'm glad they have focused on the important issues like fox hunting and not over-burdened themselves with stupid, pointless, irritating matters like making sure the blokes have the right body armour for dangerous postings.

I say "Well-done" to young Merlin for using his family connections for getting himself out of a self-imposed sticky moment and completely ignoring his professional responsibilities.

I think he should be decorated.