Squeaky boots

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walt_of_the_walts, Oct 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Niton Centurions have started squeaking (The right one)

I think its the way I walk (right foot slightly splayed out due to old injury) which means the sole is skidding ever so slightly on the floor.

Help? The noise is drivimg me mad? Is there anything i can do to the sole to stop this noise?
  2. take out the mouse that lives there and use em more
  3. Get a humongous pair of old socks and wear them over your boots. Hey presto, no squeaking and you'll confuse trackers.
    No, don't thank me, I'm always glad to help.
  4. Good ideas so far, but i do not have a rodent infestation, and I'm the one doing the tracking. I think. No, wait....What was that? Aarrrgh!!!

(given away by the boots!)
  5. Slightly splay your foot in. Perhaps this will require a new injury - ie foot in vice, attempt to carry out left turn at the halt. Unlikely to hear squeak for some weeks then I reckon.
  6. try some boot polish.
  7. Are you sure it's the sole? I always had a similar problem with boots when they were a) brand new and again when b) well broken in. I worked out it was the folds of the tongue rubbing against each other - a good dose of Nikwax and no more squeak.
  8. Oil the soles, OMD220 should do the trick.
  9. I think it might be the shock absorbing layers in the midsole rubbing against each other. Will try tonight to oil them or get some talc or graphite perhaps in between the surfaces.
  10. How the hell do you know that?
    have you been walking bent double listening to your boots again?
  11. No. but they squeak on all surfaces now, grass, dirt etc. and its getting louder!
  12. Do they squeak in a vacuum?
  13. I've got a pair of Berhaus walking boots that do the same, I might send them back to see what they say. Have they got a steel shank the sole? It could be that it is loose and rubbing. Mine get's on my tits too
  14. whistle when walking
  15. squeaking on all surfaces is nothing to do with the soles you need to fed and soften the leather. Find a good liquid leather polish that contains lanolin. (I get mine from the lidl) Rub on all exposed areas of your boot. do this 3 or for times allowing it to soak in for about 15 mins between applications. The good news is that it makes the leather more supple and you can still bull em up.(if you like that kind of thing) :)