Squadron recruiting...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by sidelineobserver, May 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have decided to take it upon myself to produce the Squadron recruiting program for this year due to extremely poor turn out. :x
    I am planning to hold an open day with stands, which isn't too hard to organise and achieve. However, the bit I'm struggling with is planning of some kind of Info Ops campaign to raise the profile of the Squadron in the local community, I realise that just holding an open day is a waste of time and need some kind of media/recruiting campaign in order to shape the battlespace. :p I have checked the ARRSEpedia site and the link doesn't seem to work to the recruitment forum :(
    So I'm after all of your proven ideas to improve recruiting!! :wink:

2. Try the good old RFCA, Regt/Bat etc they should be able to help with advertising / contacts etc. If you are wanting to do a stand in the high street, then there will be loads of form filling liasing with civ pol etc.

You will no doubt get the old n bold: when I was in during the war, and little kids walts nutters etc. Try and target your poteintal recruits in the advertising/ stands etc. College's, big companies (pro TA).

Stilts

3. Try the good old RFCA, Regt/Bat etc they should be able to help with advertising / contacts etc. If you are wanting to do a stand in the high street, then there will be loads of form filling liasing with civ pol etc.

You will no doubt get the old n bold: when I was in during the war, and little kids walts nutters etc. Try and target your poteintal recruits in the advertising/ stands etc. College's, big companies (pro TA).

Stilts

4. Beer and hookers.

5. I don't think I can justify this on the recruitment plan but we'll see how far it gets... :twisted:

:D Thanks for your suggestion stilts, I was hoping to put a few stands out and about in popular areas. The clearances/paperwork is a pain but it's something that needs to be done...

Come on there must be loads of 'corporate knowledge' around on recruiting...

6. msr

msr LE

7. If you dont mind fat birds (and lets face it most squaddies dont) you could change Drill Hall to BINGO HALL and I bet youd be packed!!

8. Seen and I've already robbed that for the recruitment plan :twisted:
    I am planning to go down the route of a three month plan which can be adjusted for subsequent years. Three months in duration so it ties in with the national and regional drives in Spring, Summer and Autumn (ever noticed there isn't a recruitment drive/adverts over Christmas when the regs are on leave? :p ). My logic is that the general population will get bombarded at every level; national TV/radio then my local recruitment drive leading them to the TAC... :twisted:

9. msr

msr LE

And don't forget to add your ideas in to the wiki page :)

msr

10. WillCo, I shall post the finished product on the ARRSEpedia for everyone to rob in turn... :D

11. msr

msr LE

And then onto their mobile phone when they come to the recruiting stand ;)

PM me for details.

msr

12. I'm sorry, what happened to OAR?

13. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You mean ORR (One Regiment Recruiting) OAR is only a figment of your imagination.

14. Back in the day, we used to get soldiers who had the time and needed the money to sit down in the library and copy down the names (from the electoral roll) of all those in our area who were going to be eligible to vote for the first time, in the next election. That means they're 17-18 now, and prime recruiting stock. Then mailshot them two weeks before your open day, with a follow up two days before. Think if it's cheaper to spend money on stamps, or to pay a L/Cpl for a day to hand-deliver them, and which gives you the most benefit.

It needed some supervision so that all names were added, not just those the soldiers liked the look of. Can't complain that minorities are under-represented when the boys won't send letters to Mr. Sidiq.

I also had a successful stand at the job centre more than once, with the help of the job centre staff, who could re-assure candidates that they would still be able to claim benefits and do their part-time soldiering.

Stands in the town centre never got me any useful recruits, but it's good for, erm, I think the phrase is 'keeping the Army in the public eye', or some such. It might help to reassure parents that the TA is a good organisation for little Jonney/Janey to be part of. The point about not having the fat boys on parade is also critical.

Radio advertising before an open day really works. I was surprised how many people listen to commercial radio, but then I've aways been a radio snob. Always ask visitors what got them in through the door, so you can target your efforts next time.

Local newspapers and radio stations are always short of news stories. Look at some of the dross on local TV and think if you really haven't got a better story than that. f you have anything remotely newsworthy and timely, write a press release and send it out. I've done that, for work not TA admittedly (based on a template I got from a book in the library), and had newspaper articles and local radio and TV all doing interviews. And it's a good skill to sell in the Real World.

The bottom line is, why is your turn-out poor? And will getting more young recruits through the door solve the fact that your training programmes may be duller than the Pope's sex-life? Retain the ones you've got as well as recruit more.

15. Permission based I hope ;o) . But if it isn't, and it's straight to personal means as it were, I'd love to know where we can get one!

Our recruiting at Coy level is very good at the moment, though I do wonder where this sudden surge of females wanting to serve is coming from? We're moving to a marketing stance to consolidate on the recruitment levels we currently enjoy, after-marketing as it were.

Very very true, and don't be afraid to invite local journo's of standing to a mess night, though an Officer's mess night may be more suitable, as I don't think they're ready for the Xmas foodfight. Most media are more pro than anti in my experience, and it is surprising how far they'll send a jouno for a good 'local' news story. Witness Central News embedding journos in Iraq, and cerytainly in the past wanting to send people to our overseas camps.

Know any local personalities, celebrities, MP's etc who want to be seen supporting our boys'? Get them involved, they bring the news people in!

Radio Radio Radio. Can't emphasise it enough, Especially for the target group my unit (Infantry) is trying to appeal to. A good and effective radio message is gold, and very inexpensive considering the returns.

MSR has done a shedload of work in this arena, and is probably close to being the unofficial media-marketing guru on matters TA ;)