Squaddies to be charged for gym use

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dontdreamit, May 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rumour has it the new super garrisons are going to implement a system of paying for personal gym use.

Any truth?

Before anyone starts this came from the letter to soldier mag and the Armynet poll.

Isn't this already covered in our x factor pay?
  2. watch more blokes that are d/g become worse quicker...
  3. Super Garrisons and gyms.....

Aldershot is free to Military and has excellent facilities
    Tidworth is free to Military at "certain times" (normally when you can never get there)

Dont know about Catterick
  4. Did anyone else see the lads letter in soldier mag claiming the RAF and Navy subsidise the use of gyms for servicepersonnel on civilian camps but the army do not!

5. I can't believe we are going to pay to use military gyms...what next pay a toll to come onto camp?

Another point, why are so many military Gyms shut early? Some close at 1900.
  6. This is a sick joke. Soldiers going without food and now plans to make them pay for gym use to stay fit?!

General Dannatt- all eyes are on you Sir 8O
  7. Allegedly. They also use it when they calculate the 'Better in than out' propaganda.
  8. Maybe its to pay for the gym queens' fake tan!
  9. That's interesting- Anyone done the salary and benefits calculator?

Mine includes an assumed benefit of £240 for Health and Fitness facilites.

That's £240 we don't get in pay, but they tell us we get because it's something we'd otherwise have to pay for- another example is the couple hundred quid for dentistry, glasses, etc.

If we're going to have to pay for these instead, then we should get the money in our pay packets.

And then we can use the on camp facilites, pay for off camp facilities, or spend it on fags and booze.
  10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Read the letter in Soldier Mag this month. I quote from it below - it is in reply to a WO2 at Abbey Wood complaining about having to pay to join the gym there:

" ...To achieve it, an individual needs only sports kit and a place to run and complete press-ups and sit-ups. Access to a full gum facility is not a requirement."

That's pretty plain - the official line is that gyms are nice, but not essential. Still, it was the 'Prize Letter', so at least the author will get something out if it :)
  11. I thought the answer in soldier was quite revealing - the army doesnt think that its people need access to a gym, merely training kit and the outdoors!
  12. I've given reading the responses in the hope of a decent, honest reply. I now read the answers to see just how Col.Blimp-ish the author can get.....
  13. If a gym is not required, only somewhere to run and do press ups and sit ups, perhaps we can get rid of all the gyms on Army bases and do away with the PTI's.
    The reply to that letter in Soldier magazine showed somebody who needed a dose of reality kicking back into them.
    If personell want to maintain or improve their fitness they should have the facilities to achieve it.
    I wonder why people are leaving the Army when you have this attitude from those who should know better.
  14. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

What galls most of all is that the Navy and Crabair pick up the Abbey Wood gym costs on behalf of their folks, while the Army doesn't - so much for joined upness!
  15. Just stupidity from above. Fitness is an essential part of the job therefor providing a place where people can improve( which can make thier jobs easier) would be common sense.