• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Squaddie

P

Pharscape81

Has anyone read squaddie by Steven McLaughlin?
if so did they think it portrayed army life accurately?

The book is average. Interseting in parts but can get quite tedious. It is the British Jarhead coz that is just as average

If you want a good squaddie book try

Dan Mills - Sniper One

Chris Hunter - Eight Lives Down

Les Howard - Winter Warriors

Mark Eyles-Thomas - Sod That For A Game Of Soldiers

I am sure that Arrse members can help out with others

Have got to say that Sniper One is brilliant, by far the best book I have read in a very, very long time. Eight Lives Down is nearly as good too. Full respect to both men.

I just hope that they are truthful. I'd be gutted to find that there were 'embellishments', especially as Sniper One was er...'co-written' by the Sun's inhouse prick.

Awol said:
Have got to say that Sniper One is brilliant, by far the best book I have read in a very, very long time. Eight Lives Down is nearly as good too. Full respect to both men.

I just hope that they are truthful. I'd be gutted to find that there were 'embellishments', especially as Sniper One was er...'co-written' by the Sun's inhouse prick.
You've just put the spoilers on Sniper One now that I know Dan Mills didn't write it himself

Pharscape81 said:
Has anyone read squaddie by Steven McLaughlin?
if so did they think it portrayed army life accurately?
I though he came across as a bit of a walt in the book, but he's a member of the site so judge for yourself clicky.

Theres a few other threads on his book here and try a search for the rest. Personally I never finished it and to be honest was a little concerned when he referred to the REME as elite soldiers at the beginning. :D

Latest Threads