Squaddie

P

Pharscape81

Has anyone read squaddie by Steven McLaughlin?
if so did they think it portrayed army life accurately?

Thought it was a good read, seemed a little direction-less in places, could relate to some of it, but not all of it, I'll give it a Arrse bookclub score of 6/10.

The book is average. Interseting in parts but can get quite tedious. It is the British Jarhead coz that is just as average

If you want a good squaddie book try

Dan Mills - Sniper One

Chris Hunter - Eight Lives Down

Les Howard - Winter Warriors

Mark Eyles-Thomas - Sod That For A Game Of Soldiers

I am sure that Arrse members can help out with others

Another couple for you:
Condor Blues by mark Nicol
Making a Killing by Capt James Ashcroft

Have got to say that Sniper One is brilliant, by far the best book I have read in a very, very long time. Eight Lives Down is nearly as good too. Full respect to both men.

I just hope that they are truthful. I'd be gutted to find that there were 'embellishments', especially as Sniper One was er...'co-written' by the Sun's inhouse prick.

Awol said:
Have got to say that Sniper One is brilliant, by far the best book I have read in a very, very long time. Eight Lives Down is nearly as good too. Full respect to both men.

I just hope that they are truthful. I'd be gutted to find that there were 'embellishments', especially as Sniper One was er...'co-written' by the Sun's inhouse prick.
You've just put the spoilers on Sniper One now that I know Dan Mills didn't write it himself

Pharscape81 said:
Has anyone read squaddie by Steven McLaughlin?
if so did they think it portrayed army life accurately?
I though he came across as a bit of a walt in the book, but he's a member of the site so judge for yourself clicky.

Theres a few other threads on his book here and try a search for the rest. Personally I never finished it and to be honest was a little concerned when he referred to the REME as elite soldiers at the beginning. :D