Squaddie

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Pharscape81, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone read squaddie by Steven McLaughlin?
    if so did they think it portrayed army life accurately?

2. Thought it was a good read, seemed a little direction-less in places, could relate to some of it, but not all of it, I'll give it a Arrse bookclub score of 6/10.

3. the bloke is a complete arrse.

4. The book is average. Interseting in parts but can get quite tedious. It is the British Jarhead coz that is just as average

If you want a good squaddie book try

Dan Mills - Sniper One

Chris Hunter - Eight Lives Down

Les Howard - Winter Warriors

Mark Eyles-Thomas - Sod That For A Game Of Soldiers

I am sure that Arrse members can help out with others

5. Another couple for you:
    Condor Blues by mark Nicol
    Making a Killing by Capt James Ashcroft

6. Have got to say that Sniper One is brilliant, by far the best book I have read in a very, very long time. Eight Lives Down is nearly as good too. Full respect to both men.

I just hope that they are truthful. I'd be gutted to find that there were 'embellishments', especially as Sniper One was er...'co-written' by the Sun's inhouse prick.

7. Read it on holiday and have to say i found it a great read. go on mad mac!!

8. You've just put the spoilers on Sniper One now that I know Dan Mills didn't write it himself

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I though he came across as a bit of a walt in the book, but he's a member of the site so judge for yourself clicky.

Theres a few other threads on his book here and try a search for the rest. Personally I never finished it and to be honest was a little concerned when he referred to the REME as elite soldiers at the beginning. :D