Squaddie Tree Graffiti

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by guzzijon, Aug 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen this story on the television news but having googled it, it's been in a few papers today too. It got the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end to see fairly obvious- and surprisingly fresh looking- battle damage to trees behing the Hartenstein in Oosterbeek, but I've not seen squaddie 'graffiti' carved in trees that I can remember.

WW2 tree carvings and bark grafitti unveil private lives from the past - Telegraph

2. Umm, how was Frank Fearing from Hudson Mass. sweating out D-Day in 1945 according to the carving?

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

My dad carved a tree in Heinsen in 1974 on Ex in 1982 he took us back to show us. Its probably not there now as it was in a pine plantation but it was nice to see all the same.

4. HHH

HHH LE

So Chantel likes looking at wood belonging to old soldiers, she should join ARRSE then!

5. There's a load of American squaddie graffiti on trees on a small island in NI. It was shown on that Dan Snow (Dig WW2?) program a few weeks ago. I forget the island's name now though.

6. Good on her! I know some of the lads on Queen's Lifeguard said that some of the dates engraved in the stones of Horse Guards arches date back to around 1920. But it does seem a tradition to graffiti where ever you go in the army - even if its a regimental sticker on the bottom of a birds bed!

7. HHH

HHH LE

I think it was Rams Island on Lough Neagh,there is a piece on it in this link.
    Rams Island