Squaddie - Steve McGlauchlin

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by TARA, Jul 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read this book, would be interested on the infantry slant on it, particulary RGJ

2. Filbert, no link available at present, the book concerns a guy who joined RGJ served for 3 years (2 and a half when you take 6 months off for training) deployed TELIC 2 and 3 months NI, i just thought he had some strange ideas about us in general and the RGJ in particular.

3. I haven't read it but a mate did; he said it's a bright ex squaddy describing 3 years of random violence and institutionalised stupidity.

Probably about right. :wink:

That's a tongue in cheek reply before all the Danekillers start reaching for their GS shovels in affronted outrage:twisted:

4. Grunts? elite? :roll:

5. I though that it was interesting to read a book about a soldiers service that didnt inclue a single contact. It is quite a rare thing in my opinion. I felt that his main motivation for joining up was the untimely death of his brother who was a serving RGJ. I felt like he inlcuded the scrap he had with another lad from his unit whilst in Iraq with such graphic detail in order to compensate for th lack of "action", I personally didnt have a drama with that absence.

6. There is a book about a Bootneck with similar story lines, Amongst The Marines or something, basically its a narrative about how many people he chinned whilst serving, there is a follow on about how many people he chinned whilst a civvy.

7. The author is a member on this site, there is a thread knocking about somewhere on here from when the book was first published.

8. I read the one about the Bootie, didn't get it myself. it was just like Junior Leaders

9. B*llocks colander, you have never stank of the River Exe....Gash book though, although I love it when Steve gets mad on the internet....the man is a font of rage