Squaddie or Officer?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by DanielM, Oct 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I personally want to be a squaddie, I want to go out on the piss, pull ugly birds and find my home with a kebab compass, but I've promised my parents that I won't die. (Well, parent.) Should I join as a squaddie and live like I want to? I think my parents would disown me whether I joined as a squaddie or officer, but I think I'd keep my promise of not dying at a higer % as an officer than a squaddie.

I know this sounds like typical tosspot bravado, but I'd gladly die for my country. I admit I'm slightly drunk, but this is the truth. Liarbour gov't or not, I owe this isle for having me as a child. If I survive my service, good. If not, ah well. Basically, my question is, at what age/rank do SNCOs get commissioned? I read about a L/Cpl who died in the line of duty (R.I.P., pos thumous VC.) who was in for 10 years. If that's an average for a L/Cpl I'd never join as a squaddie. (Yeah, I know a Cpl is a JNCO) I want to serve for life, as in, make L/Col by 50. I don't want to retire and get a civvie job, I want to finish in Whitehall until I'm about 70. I want to know if this is possible as a LE officer, or do you get canned at Major rank as "too old"? If it is, I'll go for officer selection. If not, I'll go for squaddie, get myself to W02 and drag myself to Lt. Gen.

tl;dr do LEs make Brig. Gen ranks or do they cap out at Col.?
  2. If you can become an officer, do it. I could have, but didn't, wish I did!
  4. On the other hand, I could have, and glad I didn't.

And..........quite possibly a crap wind up (you boys need to learn what a Wah really is)
  5. If it was a wah it'd be an awful lot of wind-up for a reply.

Again, squaddie is attracting me, it's what I'VE al'ways wanted to do... But my parents would feel like shit if I did... I don''t want to upset my mum... Is there anything I can say that would make her feel at ease?
  6. Pilloch!
  7. cuntus maximus
  8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Aye, this thread stinks of sh1t.

To the Naafi - for the response it deserves!
  9. Now now, we wouldn't want to upset his mum, would we?
  10. Thought it was parent and not parents?
  11. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Christ if this is you drunk, you must be a barrell of laughs sober