Squaddie Off-Duty Fashion since 1945.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by FaceLikeAPingPongBall, Mar 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It came up in the 'Zoot Suit' thread about squaddie off-duty fashion.

So, what was yours (and year!).

But to kick it off, Ron Hills, foot straps on or lose to the rear on the ankle?
  2. The 'Shot in '88 - Ron Hill's definitely loose with (of course) des boots and Barbour jacket.
  3. I resembled that remark!
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just after the IRA shot two Auusies in Roermond the RAF Police issued a 'how not to look like a Brit Serviceman' leaflet.
    No jeans,leather or denin jackets,tee shirts & D.B's! So that was my wardeobe f*cked then!
    Oh & they also advised the women not to shave the armpits.Continental women dont.
  5. :oops:

Ok, I'll 'fess up for the old gits:

'shot/germany '69

Two-tone tonic mohair suits (shone blue/green) Ben Shermans - thin ties - penny-loafers. :D

Black Harrington jackets/Crombie overcoats, Ben Shermans, thin braces - cut-off jeans - cherry red DM's :salut:

6. I loved coming out from my NI training, going back to Kinnegar in a plain clothes job and being told to get a neck shave by the uniformed ex-infantry CSM! You couldn't script it!
  7. As a pad brat that went into the army i grew up in jeans t-shirt and DB's and i still wear them today...Db's you just cant beat them when getting dragged around the shops by the missus... :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. Thats how the RAF Police like their love; hairy armpits and a d***!
  9. The Zoot Suit was in favour in America during WW2 it never appeared over here you never had the clothing coupons for a start. There was a type clothing favoured by the Spivs but that was not a Zoot suit
  10. where can you buy proper dezzies now??
  11. Shoe shop???
  12. That's what I was wearing, too! ........ only black "monkey boots" not red DM's ...... as were most of my mates in our part of Sussex.
  13. DB's, jeans, T shirt and a green helly hanson jacket...you could pull any old gronk dressed in that, DB's had to be christened by drinking a pint out of them.

Alternativley, laura ashley frock, full fighting gear and size 10 red stillettos....or was that just a bootneck thing????
  14. Asda Chandlers Ford £20
  15. HM Supplies in Aldershot do them, the kind we all wore in the 80's that no Airborne soldier would be seen without, and of course para cord for laces!