Squaddie Alcohol Consumption & Tolerance Question

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Vegetius, May 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello.

Here on ARRSE I see quite a lot of talk about how much squaddies can drink. My own experience is that, indeed, although squaddies have an impressive constitution when it comes to going on the lash, I have seen suburban rugby clubs aquit themselves just as well.

Admittedly, my experience is slightly out of date. The last time I went out on the piss with a load of squaddies it was a liaison-type do and most of the people there were SNCOs on good behaviour. Well, sort of good behaviour, as one of them threw up on a Latvian au pair he was trying to chat up but that's another story. He shall, for the time being, remain nameless.

So, a few years on, what is the consensus here in the NAAFI as to what constitutes a proper squaddie drinking binge? Ten pints? Eleven? How does one factor in spirits? Do we use those units on the side of the bottle? Do youngsters drinking alcopops get twatted for being girls?

More questions: what is the most epic squaddie piss-up you have ever indulged in? How long did it last and what was your poison? So, in conclusion: Can squaddies nowadays still drink more than the average suburban rugby team?

V!

2. Yes, Yes they do.

As for epic piss ups this weekend was an extremely epic 3 day session and appatantly there was a game of rugby in the middle :lol:

3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Average Fri afternoon ended in 2 Fd with a 3 Lr bottle of Asbach in the room shared with a couple of lads lots of beers then a trip down to the Landsman to batter some jocks then back to the block ready to start again the next day :D

4. I've taken part in a few epic p1ss-ups over the years but the sad reality is that I remember very few of the details of the worst ones. There was one particular one which involved playing a rugby match at about half past nine on a Saturday morning, having a couple of drinks in the bar afterwards, then heading for Twickenham as there was an England-France game in the afternoon, having several more pints before the game, watching the game, drinking several pints straight afterwards, redeploying to a pub closer to home, drinking 'til closing time, getting a lock in and stagging on into the early hours. But God knows how much I drank, or how I got home. It was before I had kids so I spent the next day in bed, farting so much I nearly blew the duvet off and failing to impress my girlfriend with claims that I was near death.

5. it started at 6am with gunfire, finished at midnight passing out in my room after going to tiffanys exotic dancers

worst part of the day was just prior to lunch, but a good curry sorted me out and the rest of the day was spent drunk, but in no serious danger of puking. it was an insight in to how a tramp must feel

6. We were doing a sponsered run, row and cycle from Podeavo in Kosovo back to Tidworth. My troop got the most distance and were given 7 crates of Amstel. It was also my 21st. So we got on it like there was not tomorrow which was great because we were all fcuked from doing phys for the last 2 days. Bar open at three, I was puking at 6 went to bed about 12ish. My troop then had a piss up the following afternoon which lasted from two untill midnight. We then had the cadre pass off the next day where two out of the three guys made up on the square were from my troop. Cue even more drinking. We looked a state on Tuesday morning. Got to love being in an ARMOURED ENGINEER SQUADRON!

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

V!

While a piZZ up with the rugby team can be exciting, just think of the combination of rugby and squaddies on a piZZ up. Now the one thing to remember about a civvy piss up and a squaddie one is that squaddies can't phone in a sickky the next day.

8. went on the lash at Wildenrath back in the days of 85pfgs a can :lol: (late 70's)

48 hrs later (unless some barsteward changed the date on my watch)
    woke up in Denmark with a welkcom til Skagen(sp) sign clutched to me, also accompanied by rest of the front row and 1 flanker :lol:

Alledgedly a baby tech done the driving, then drove off frightened at our behaviour.

all squaddies and all rugby club memebers as well :lol:

we will call that one a draw :wink: as the game was postponed as there was not enough members of our team in the same country never mind to play the game.

9. Vegetius, your timing is perfect! On my second marriage and after 2 years the wife says I drink too much. Fact is, in from graft, crack a can, some nights 2, a few nights 4 but mostly 2, up for work next morning. On a night out, whaey, who's counting. According to her I NEED the fix so I have a problem. I may turn to straight whisky, slap her about followed by .........Now there's a problem. She bets me not many out there do the same?

10. Auld-Yin

Seems like u missed the tolerance bit then! I can only hope you are joking - if not then may u be lifted by the polis asap.

11. So how do all these squaddies manage to keep their fitness up while going on the piss all the time?

12. I hear what you're saying, I've checked in a clinic (do they check your bags when you go in?)

13. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Edwards159, its not all the time, just most of it...........The same way they get up in the morning for work and their civv counterparts dont

14. Auld-Yin

No I leave her at home. :lol:

15. Did some serious drinking in my younger days but eventually learned my limit.
    I will suggest that the three great institutions for boozing are and in no perticular order,
    The Armed Forces (overseas)
    The Merchant marine.
    Expat workers.
    I have written my self out of this world with all at one time or another and I will go with that old saying on booze
    Good servant Bad master.
    john