squaddie, a soldiers story

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by speedybham, Jan 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. havin just found a copy of 'picking up the brass' (which is as funny as it sounds) i found squaddie a soldiers story, by steven mclaughlin.

nice to find something abit different, written by a squaddie it's a good read, hadn't realised until today it's had some good reviews too amazon
  2. I've seen negative reviews about ''squaddie'' but i got it at the airport before flying abroad and couldnt put it down, read it in about 2 days and have read it again since, well worth getting.
  3. cracking book, the best bit i thought was about his training as this was what i could relate to best, but well worth a read
  4. well worth a read, I read it in two sittings and reccomended it to two friends who also got through it quickly and love it.

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Got it from the local library the other day,just finishing a stonkingly good read "Eight Lives Down".
  6. Hmm.. My thoughts on the book were not so positive so I found this thread to see if I'd missed the point.

Please bear in mind that I'm a civvy (currently applying) so may have a bit of a naive outlook.

The author comes across as having an enormous chip on both shoulders.
    All the tales basically recount how sh1t it is to be a soldier.
    Often citing examples where "there is Infantry and then there is everything else".

Basically I found the book totally depressing and completely at odds with the "Life is sometimes pretty sh1t but the British Army are the best because we laugh in the face of adversity" attitude of pretty much every other book/author out there.

Would it be fair to say that this is just one man's (and a man with quite obvious emotional issues) view on HIS short career or is this an accurate and honest depiction of a much less vented attitude within the forces?

On a positive note, it is good to hear the story of someone that had a genuinely un-remarkable career instead of the usual heroics and exceptional soldiering.
  7. I bet you've only ever spoken to one soldier, and he was in recruitment. :D
  8. Being a civvy my opinion means balls-all but...I bloody loved this book. It came across as really telling it how it is without pr dancing or bullsh*tting. Especially since it's written by an ordinary squaddie.